DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not asking what ton or seer I need. I am just trying to get an idea of what is needed to have a heat and air unit put in my house:

I know nothing about HVAC, and I will not be doing this. A pro will. I just want to understand what is involved.

My house has only an old oil furnace that can not be used in any way shape form or fashion. Not even the duct work.

For instance if i call a pro HVAC person and he does a load calc and says I need a 3.5 ton 14 seer unit for my house. Exactly what will he put in my house and outside my house? I know he will need to run new duck work in the attic because my house is way too low to the ground to go in the crawl space.

I know there will be some kind of unit that usually sits on a cement pad outside. Don't know the correct name, but what will he put inside my house besides the duct work. I know there is electrical work involved too, and I have recently had a service change from 100 amp to 200 amp.

I am sorry for these very simple questions, but i really don't know the first thing about HVAC, but i do want to know a little something about what I will be buying besides the labor charges of course. Thanks a lot for reading.

·
Administrator
40,808 Posts
The outdoor unit is a Condenser.

If the A/C is going to be seperate from the heat.
Then he'll install an Air andler inside.

If your replacing the furnace also. Then inside he would install a new furnace which would become the air handler for the A/C also, and he would install an evaporator coil with teh new furnace.

·
Registered
216 Posts
check this out, it was pretty neat... it'll let you estimate size and everything
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/kitbuilder_new/

I've put a lot of systems in with my dad growing up but I really don't know the sizing and such. I believe the condersers were only using 30amp breakers so you probably didn't need a service upgrade unless you were doing electric heat or what not...

My system, equipment alone at wholesale cost (125kBTU 80+ furnace, 2.5 ton AC condenser and evaporator coil) was something like $1700 two years ago. I don't see those prices being much different anywhere in the states, hopefully it'll give you something to chew on

and don't forget there is a 30% tax credit on equipment and installation costs this year (upto $1500)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Self contained or Split system

Is one better than the other? If not what is some reasons for choosing one over the other? Keep in mind the contractor will need to put in all new duct work and i was wondering if his labor may be less if he uses a self contained unit. I don't know but it seems like a self contained unit might not take as long for the contractor to setup. Also I know you can't give me a price, but will the new duct work and the labor involved in that alone cost me a whole lot? I have a big attic with a lot of room that you can walk in and I don't use it for anything. i don't care how the duct work is run in the attic. Thanks for the other replies and for reading this as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If not what is some reasons for choosing one over the other?
Pick the best contractor/installer and go with the brand they recommend and are most familiar with.

I'd rather have a Goodman system installed by a pro then a Carrier system installed by a hack. Installation is far more important then the name plate on the equipment.

In fact a lot of the internal components in a heat pump system are the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. An exampls is Copeland compressors, Ranco control boards, Sporlan valves, etc, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts