DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a house from the 60's that is built with tongue and groove vertical siding. I read that the sidings should not be caulked. Unfortunately this has been caulked by the previous owner and recaulked by the painters 4 years ago. The caulk on the South side is starting to fail with gaps. Should I strip the caulk/recaulk, strip the caulk/leave it alone, strip the caulk/paint over, or... Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
We have a house from the 60's that is built with tongue and groove vertical siding. I read that the sidings should not be caulked. Unfortunately this has been caulked by the previous owner and recaulked by the painters 4 years ago. The caulk on the South side is starting to fail with gaps. Should I strip the caulk/recaulk, strip the caulk/leave it alone, strip the caulk/paint over, or... Thank you!
Welcome to the forums.

We're going to need pictures for this one (for me anyway).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately we have this behemoth of a south side facing wall that gets ton of exposure from sun and rain. I think the expansion of the wood is cracking the caulked joints. Some areas are starting to bubble with moisture getting behind it.

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
You are correct that the grooves never should have been caulked but they were and the damage is done.

At this point, cleaning up the loose stuff, re-caulking and paint is your best bet imo.

You'll never be able to remove all of the caulk to make it original again.

Now someone that's good can make the caulking job look real nice. Whoever did the work in that last pic is not the guy.

·
retired painter
11,816 Posts
I wouldn't recaulk, while that will make it look nicer it's only a short term fix.
I'd scrape the old caulk as needed and paint.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
All that caulking is doing is holding in the moisture making things worst.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts