DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home builder just poured a footer and is drilling holes for vertical rebar to support a block wall which will be the foundation for the garage slab with 2' of gravel under it. I asked why he didn't simply put the rebar into the wet cement when the footer was poured to save me the expense of hammer drilling and epoxying into the hardened footer. He said the rebar "would not set correctly" if put into wet cement. This does not sound right to me. What do you think?

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,534 Posts
They make a 2 hole block, and a 3 hole block, as long as the anchors are in line there is a pretty good chance one of the blocks will work

·
Registered
729 Posts
Gee, drilling and epoxying rebar into a footing is no big deal. If it's green, it'll drill like butter. I'd venture to say it is faster than wet setting them. Walk around on the footing, snap some accuragte chalk lines instead of monkeying around with strings and batter boards. Now if he is charging you for drill rental or something, thats effed up but the OP never said that. With block you don't have the leeway you do with a poured wall. The core is a pretty small target.

Used to use block quite a bit and that's how our masons did it too, and they were the best around and turned out a high quality product.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
maybe he/his conc sub forgot,,, maybe he likes no worries about them moving out of vert alignment in wet conc,,, i don't know nor does anyone else,,, we've done it both ways

1 - 12 of 12 Posts