DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Believe it or not this is all Vertical Decorative Concrete. Myself and a few of my students did this piece in 3.5 days. It was a wall in a "green" room for bands in a location called RocketTown in Nashville TN. This was a benefit to the community through the Concrete Decor Show 2011.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I don't believe it. :laughing:

All WE see is:

http://api.ning.com/files/Yb3q*fCWg9JwEdhWKVGIdQo0tuzu1yLYxyLu05YvMQR5ol-TL2AD-nT-B4jlejXTvrXyLCVFxvf7u6IisGW6Mi3oZmniUJdx/20110318nashvilleday3DON_1532.jpg?width=737&height =489[/IMG

Sorry....

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Now I'm totally confused.... (so what else is new? :laughing:)
This is real cool.... however, in another thread here, http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/fire-pit-block-40848/ we were discussing exploding concrete and cinder blocks in fire pits. Wouldn't this be the same thing? Won't it explode too??? I don't see a steel liner in the fireplace part?

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
The problem with proportioned bagged mix is that it is uniform, but may not be the ideal for the actual application. The modern "factory controlled" image sells well as does the uniformity.

One of the problems with a proportioned bagged mix in the U.S. is that the properties of the mortar depend on the local aggregates that care used. The cement is very uniform as are the admixtures and lime (if used). The cost of shipping restricts the aggregate to local natural materials. Sand for mortar can be critical depending on a combinations of gradations (maximums, minimums, average size, etc.) and most importantly, the particle properties (smooth, rough, angular, rounded, etc.) and the type of fines (or dust) that can also be fine rounded paticles or flat plates.

When you go to use a mortar that requires workability and adherence(stickiness), you may have to make additions of cement, lime or clay to give you what really works. Strength is not a factor in most situations when you are dealing with veneer.

The other Schu - Dick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
exploding fire pit response

Yes you are correct...if additives are not added or a special type of cement is not use the air trapped int he concrete will super heat and expand and cause a popping, cracking noise as the concrete spawls out under the pressure.
Fire clay was added to this mix where the rocks would be in close proximity to the fire.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. That sure is some cool stuff to do with a bag of concrete!!!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the addition to my wallpaper collection! :laughing:

DM

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just learned the term "urbanite," the material of our generation--used concrete. I don't supposed old sidewalk chunks would work vertically like this amazing art piece, but it could be used for a large-scale floor mosaic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.