DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with these ONTs and can point me in the right direction.

So below is a picture of an ONT that is identical to what I have outside of my house. You'll see two wires coming into the ONT - one cat 5 cable with 4 pair, and one wire from verizon (not sure where this one is coming from) that has a red, green, yellow and black.

The cat 5 cable goes from the ONT to inside my house. The blue / blue-white is connected to the yellow and black - which brings line 1 to my house.

The red and green is connected below the test jacks into these plastic "clips" - this is what confuses me, I have no idea what that is for, but I do know if I remove it then line 1 goes dead on those yellow and black wires, which ties into the cat 5 blue/blue-white going into my house - however the test jack above is still live.

The reason for all of this is that I had verizon give me a second line. The second line is active in the test jacks, so I took the orange / orange white pair from my cat 5 that goes into the house, and inserted it into those plastic "clips" under the test jack (just like you see in the picture). Doing that does not give me a dial tone on those orange / orange-white wires. As a simple solution I was thinking of just crimping a phone jack onto the orange/orange white wire and plugging it into the test jack and leaving that on there permanently to bring line two into my house - does that make sense? I know it will work, but not sure if there is a better way to do this. It seems that Verizon does not provide the actual wiring for line two in the "customer" section of the ONT - only the test jack. Verizon wants a minimum of 100 bucks to hook line 2 up to the cat 5 coming into my house, but told me it was easy to just go outside to the ONT and do it myself. The only "easy" way I see of doing this is plugging into those test jacks.

I'm confused by the black, yellow, red, green wires coming into the ONT. Maybe I'm dating myself but anytime I saw this color combo coming in there was line 1 on the red and green and line 2 on the yellow / black. Here, all 4 wires seem to be controlling line 1. If I pull the red and green out of those "clips" and test them I do not get any dial tone on any wires UNTIL the red and green is inserted into those clips, and only then do I get a dial tone on JUST the yellow and black line. The test jacks stay active the entire time.

thank you!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alarm interface!! Mystery solved! I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. I called up verizon and they didn't pick up on that either.

I attached the orange/ orange-white and that didn't give me tone to the other end of cat 5 in the house. So I tried the brown pair, that didn't do it. I brought a phone jack with a short piece of cable outside and tried that, still no luck. I'm thinking the connection in the ONT is no good but verizon told me that is highly unlikely - "those don't go bad". They are sending a tech Wednesday to look at the ONT. hopefully it's a quick fix for them.

Thank you!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.