DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with these ONTs and can point me in the right direction.

So below is a picture of an ONT that is identical to what I have outside of my house. You'll see two wires coming into the ONT - one cat 5 cable with 4 pair, and one wire from verizon (not sure where this one is coming from) that has a red, green, yellow and black.

The cat 5 cable goes from the ONT to inside my house. The blue / blue-white is connected to the yellow and black - which brings line 1 to my house.

The red and green is connected below the test jacks into these plastic "clips" - this is what confuses me, I have no idea what that is for, but I do know if I remove it then line 1 goes dead on those yellow and black wires, which ties into the cat 5 blue/blue-white going into my house - however the test jack above is still live.

The reason for all of this is that I had verizon give me a second line. The second line is active in the test jacks, so I took the orange / orange white pair from my cat 5 that goes into the house, and inserted it into those plastic "clips" under the test jack (just like you see in the picture). Doing that does not give me a dial tone on those orange / orange-white wires. As a simple solution I was thinking of just crimping a phone jack onto the orange/orange white wire and plugging it into the test jack and leaving that on there permanently to bring line two into my house - does that make sense? I know it will work, but not sure if there is a better way to do this. It seems that Verizon does not provide the actual wiring for line two in the "customer" section of the ONT - only the test jack. Verizon wants a minimum of 100 bucks to hook line 2 up to the cat 5 coming into my house, but told me it was easy to just go outside to the ONT and do it myself. The only "easy" way I see of doing this is plugging into those test jacks.

I'm confused by the black, yellow, red, green wires coming into the ONT. Maybe I'm dating myself but anytime I saw this color combo coming in there was line 1 on the red and green and line 2 on the yellow / black. Here, all 4 wires seem to be controlling line 1. If I pull the red and green out of those "clips" and test them I do not get any dial tone on any wires UNTIL the red and green is inserted into those clips, and only then do I get a dial tone on JUST the yellow and black line. The test jacks stay active the entire time.

thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The red/green wires are feeding dial tone to your alarm panels RJ31 jack. Then it back-feeds the dial tone to your NID via the yellow/black wires that are tied down to your blue/white wires with those b connectors. So in the house you should have dial tone on the blue/white for line 1. Its likely the orange/white pair is tied down someplace else and why you are not getting dial tone on the inside. Check to see if they goto a jack for a 2 line plug. Which would have them on the outer pair Yellow/black terminals in a jack.
Other possibility is the orange/white pair have shorted out somewhere.
Its a shame your brown and green pairs are cut off, instead of just back wrapped, because you could have used those if the orange pair is bad. Best way to isolate the pair is to make a test jack to hook up to the ONT, to verify the ONT jack isn't the problem. If you can get dial tone off of the line 2 tie down, then the issue is inside wiring. Even if you made a cheat by putting a plug on the orange pair it probably wouldn't work if the issue is inside.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alarm interface!! Mystery solved! I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. I called up verizon and they didn't pick up on that either.

I attached the orange/ orange-white and that didn't give me tone to the other end of cat 5 in the house. So I tried the brown pair, that didn't do it. I brought a phone jack with a short piece of cable outside and tried that, still no luck. I'm thinking the connection in the ONT is no good but verizon told me that is highly unlikely - "those don't go bad". They are sending a tech Wednesday to look at the ONT. hopefully it's a quick fix for them.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
fios installed here several months ago, replacing comcast at great savings. happy with the switch after a few probs. the biggest one was no phones in half the house, all worked well with comcast. tech thought it was the alarm system at first, but problem persisted after he left. (was working when he left) day two new box same problem. turned out to be a short in the wall between floors. temp fix was cat 5 out the window down to the 1st floor in another window and we were in business. perm fix was me pulling wire from basement to attic and back down to 2nd floor. no damage or patching necessary. two techs both thought that the fios system was running a higher voltage than the comcast and burned throught some insulation. when we had the regular verizon phone service many years ago we constantly had probs. they all disapppeared with comcast.

prob 2 was type of phone service available with a switch from comcast to fios needed to keep same ph #. after the switch we then switched from one lesser fios plan to a better one at the same cost. something about federal regulations. now all is well.

hope this helps

bernie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.