DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Doozer
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to vent my dryer through the floor. The floor is 3x6 T&G fir. Beneath that are joists, logs, and the river is 2 feet below the floor. So it really doesn't matter if I am venting moist air beneath the house. The wind will blow it away.

What I really want to know is: does anyone know of a termination which will allow the dryer to vent, but which will keep pests out? I can easily poke a hole in the floor and stick a duct down, but what do I put on the bottom of it? Standard dryer vent fittings are made to go through a wall and have a flapper that closes when the dryer is not running. That will obviously not work for me. Is there a nice fitting or should I just bend some hardware screen over the end and put a couple of screws in it?

Thank you.

·
K&B Designer
350 Posts
The damper is spring loaded and opens with enough air pressure from the dryer. You do need to have access to this from the exterior as it requires periodic maintenance. Especially with the added humidity. Lint accumulates and will block the air's exit resulting in your dryer element burning out or even a house fire.

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts