DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am going to be replacing the shingles on my roof in about a month from now. I have some decisions to make regarding venting and I was hoping to get some opinions.

The home has existing gable vents and some inadequate soffit vents spaced too far apart. Currently, there are no big issues with ice dams or mold. It is extremely hot in the attic though, which makes our upstairs living space really hot as well.

In order to ventilate, I was going to add ridge vent and either smartvent or airvent, based on some good reviews I have seen on this and other forums. However, the rafters of the cathedral ceiling portion of my house are packed with insulation. I would have to tear up the plywood and put in insulation baffles in order to get airflow. The other half of my house would work fine with this application. I attached some pictures to help.

My questions are:,

1. Should I go through the extra effort to ventilate given the added cost ($1,000 or so for materials) and scope of work? Will it be cost beneficial since I don't really have any major issues anyway?

2. Would a compromise work and only ventilate the main part of my house that has the open airway?

3. How difficult will it be to pull up and put back down the plywood? (The thought of it is causing me stress!)

4. As you can see, I have large overhangs with aluminum soffit. How would you go about venting the soffit rather than using the smartvent. I can't think of a good way that will look good besides replacing it, which I believe will be more labor intensive than adding the smart vent.

I am not a roofer but have been doing about 4 or 5 roof jobs a year on my father's crew since I've been young.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
$1,000 for ventilation? Wow.

If you pull up the plywood, just throw it away. If the ventilation is as bad as you say it'll probably be shot already anyways from the heat.

You have a gable vent make sure to close that gable vent if you put on a ridge vent. OR instead of ridge vent you can utilize that gable vent and put on a fan to create suction.

Youc an clip the aluminum fascia, bend it over to expose the solid panels you want to remove. Buy some vented panels, cut them to size, cut an opening in the plywood soffit, install the new panels, bend the fascia back. The fascia may look wavy up close but might not notice from ground. I have installed edge vent on a few projects but am hesitant. It seems to work well, but still a little uneasy about allowing snow and ice into the structure.

OR, what I will be doing ona job next week, rather than remove the soffit we are actually going to cut right through it and install 8"x16" vent covers over the cuts screwed through the aluminum and into the plywood beneath. It won't look the best, but it will work. Cosmetics wern;t a concern on this job which is why we opted for this solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
1,000 might be high but not too far off with ridge, smart vent and a bunch of insulation chutes. That stuff is pricey.
There is no plywood under the vinyl soffit. I like your idea about cutting the holes in the soffit. I brought a vent home to check out the appearance.

I am going to replace the gutters, so I could replace the fascia which would make it easier to replace soffit panels.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ok if you are going to repalce the gutters, just to further confuse you, you have another option of a product called "the inhaler" which is a behind the gutter vent. Some people don't like it because it makes the gutter appears as if it's pushed out but IMO it's more fool proof than the smart vent or edge vent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts