DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a resident of Minnesota and own a 1930’s story and a half house. I have a question pertaining to venting a basement sink. I am thinking of moving my laundry room over to the opposite side of the basement which is immediately beneath the kitchen. On the wall where the drain line comes down form the kitchen sink I have access to hot and cold water lines that feed the kitchen as well as a gas line. So hooking up new laundry room here would work pretty well. My question is can i tie my laundry tub into the drain line that comes down from the kitchen and use the vent that’s already on the line in the kitchen, or do I have to add separate vent for the basement sink. There is no easy way to add vent at that location due to the finished kitchen, tile, and cabinets above so if I have to have a dedicated vent i would have to open up the ceiling and run a vent pipe back across the basement to tie into the old vent line (where the current laundry sink is right now).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an ejector pump next to a basement tub sink, and the 2" vent pipe runs vertically about 12" out of the pump housing and just vents into the basement. It's not ideal, but the gases are also not noticeable as it's just used for laundry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is an AAV legal to do in Minneapolis? A buddy of mine who isn’t a plumber told me to do the same thing, but a guy that lives up the street from me who is a plumber told me AAV’s are not code in Minneapolis. Does that even matter? If the AAV will get the job done and you do it yourself, will it be a problem when I go to sell the house? If an AAV isn’t legit and I hired a plumber they would have to pull a permit and follow the city code- which it sounds like says you have to have a separate vent ..... meaning i end up having to spend the extra money to open spots in the ceiling and run a pipe over to the old laundry sink location to vent the sink in compliance with the code.

So the sink won’t drain properly off the existing vent about it is what you are saying yes? meaning i have to add the AAV or go to the expense of running a pipe all the way back over to the other side of the basement where the current laundry sink is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts