DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I goofed on installing the vent stack. In short, I put two vent pipes in a partition wall that I built last year and joined them, intending to vent one side up into the attic and through the roof. Only after everything was connected and just perfect did I remember that I attached the top of that partition wall to a ceiling joist. The vent pipe is 2-inch. The joist is attached to the wall just along the edge such that the pipe would need to dig 1/2 inch or so into the joist. I don't suppose I can cut into a joist without compromising the truss system, right? Or add a cleat and go for it? or cut in at the bottom of the joist just enough to fit an elbow?

The only other workaround (hate to workaround) I can think of is to run a soffit along that wall and elbow the pipe out of the partition wall and into the soffit.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I'm sure codes would have something to say, but if that bottom chord is supported along a length of that top plate it should be fine with a little creative modification.

There may be a nailer on top of that top plate as well.

Will this be inspected?

Bud

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
come out of the wall at a 45 degree and the 5/8 ceiling and the 1/2 wall board will hide it. Sealing around that is another problem.
That was a surprisingly accurate drawing you did of the situation. I actually had more 2x face to work with since my joist was actually flush with the wall, so I was able to get this with a 22.5. Of course my holes weren't lined up, so I had to get two 45s shift it over inside the wall, but all's well that ends well. THanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.