DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..we are going nuts with this..a 92 Saturn 2-dr coupe 1.9L DOHC, it wants to drag back and loses power when going in reverse, or when going forward slowly (from a stop for examle), it runs great in drive and if we throttle it up by hand while checking it (up on the ramps) it still drags under 3 rpms...
we have changed spark plugs and wires, changed trans fluid and filter (burnt), replaced fuel filter, checked the exhaust system...muffler had rusted thru in a couple places, chopped the muffler off--still dragging, absolutely nothing made this vehicle stop dragging...(possible even more stuff tried..but I am writing this for my son)..Sooooooo any other ideas? thanks, Mary

· Registered
2,585 Posts
have you checked the timing chain? it may be stretched and retarding the timing enough to cause your problem.
Check the chain as wire_twister stated. Also check the ECT and the wiring connector. The ECT's on pre '97 Saturns are known for cracking (sending a low temperature reading to the PCM) and the connection corroding. Also make make sure that the correct PCV is installed.

The way Saturn S-Series autotransaxles get reverse is to engage second forward gear and using an actuator (dog clutch) to engage the reverse gears. The dog clutch will disengage at 2600 RPM while in reverse or/and about 25 MPH (normal). It is normal for these trans. to develop 450-500 psi in reverse and you should use an OEM trans. filter. I've seen a number of aftermaket fail causing a major pressure leak. Also check the wiring to the trans temp sensor as it can be broken when removing the trans filter.

Other trans common problems are a loose input shaft nut. The nut is the seal between second and third gears. You could be loosing pressure into the other gear. They also have a redesigned valve body upper half for low pressure problem fix. Both of these issues generally cause a delay into reverse.

Good luck.

Added: More symptoms and what you tested would be helpful, as it is very difficult to help you in the right direction over the internet.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vehicle Loses Power...

WOW! thank you all very much for all the varied suggested solutions..finally we found the culprit....we pulled the hose off the EGR valve and sensor and now it's runnin' like a top..at any speed/in any direction..!!...lol....(like I said..a temporary fix)!! :whistling2::thumbsup:

· Registered
2,585 Posts
Glad to hear you've got it figured out. When you change the EGR valve, with the valve removed, start the engine. Note it will cause the engine to rev high, so be prepared to turn it off and do not stand directly in front of the ports as the exhaust and carbon deposits will come out flying. This will clean out the exhaust passages to the valve.

· Registered
25 Posts
WOW! thank you all very much for all the varied suggested solutions..finally we found the culprit....we pulled the hose off the EGR valve and sensor and now it's runnin' like a top..at any speed/in any direction..!!...lol....(like I said..a temporary fix)!! :whistling2::thumbsup:
That's the good news but I am happy to read that how people give suggestions. Its a good attitude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.