DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large open concept living area where I plan to expand the kitchen. All of the area surrounding the kitchen is already vaulted, but there is a peninsula with pass-thru void, which is only supported by the flat ceiling & bulkhead. I took a photo which shows exactly what I am describing, as this does not seem like the normal truss ceiling conversion to vaulted ceiling, but apparently I am not allowed to post attachments. The main points are:
-The vaulted peak that runs thru the center of this area is beyond the flat kitchen ceiling (i.e. the flat ceiling of the kitchen lies entirely on one side of the peak, about 2 feet short of the vaulted peak.)
-There are no vertical supports on 2 sides of the square kitchen, leaving the upper cabinets over the peninsula supported only by what is above.
-There are no vertical supports extending into the basement beneath this area.
-There are no horizontal beams or other supports that extend beyond the square of the kitchen.
-There is a partial wall that extends from floor to ceiling, and out 24 inches perpendicular to the exterior wall of the house. It appears that this is just a means for separation of the kitchen from the rest of the area, as there is nothing that extends into the basement below this wall.

I assume that the current vaulted truss is supporting the majority of the weight of the flat ceiling with wall cabinets. If I cut out the 2x4s that simply appear to be supporting only drywall and the bulkheads, I would imagine the current structure of the vaulted ceiling as it is would be enough to support only dry wall and light fixtures. Am I correct or have I overlooked something?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Can you please provide some pictures of the area in question? Also if you can show some pictures of the attic area above it showing the framing it would be very beneficial.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photo of ceiling area

Aha! Now they allow me to upload photos! I only have the one of the ceiling area. I'm just logging on now to check replies, but I'm hoping that this photo will offer enough info. I can get the ladder up there to get attic pics on Thursday if it's still necessary. I do really appreciate the advice! Thanks again

Attachments

·
Residential Designer
1,486 Posts
Aha, soffets, not bulkheads.

You are probably right that that stuff can be taken out if indeed that is what you want to do.

I am not in any way "giving permission" so to speak, just betting that you could take them out no worries.

Andy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, I went up into the space that I thought was connected to this open space above the kitchen, but there is no opening to get up there without putting a hole in the side of that space. I will do so anyway when I get a chance, and post photos of its framework. What is the difference between a bulkhead and soffit, if that is what I have then? Is it only a bulkhead if it contains ductwork or something functional?

According to m-w.com:

Definition of SOFFIT
: the underside of a part or member of a building (as of an overhang or staircase); especially : the intrados of an arch

Definition of BULKHEAD
: a wall that separates the different parts of a ship or aircraft
: an upright partition separating compartments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts