DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a discussion at work about corroding light sockets in high moisture areas such as crawl spaces or outdoors. One guy who has construction experience, but not electrical, said he puts Vaseline over the bulb threads so he can make sure he can get the buld=b out of the socket easily after if burns out.

Is this appropriate? Are there anti-corrosive lubricants which are more appropriate?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't put Vaseline on the lamp threads!

I did this in our kitchen light many years ago, and as the Vaseline heated up and cooked in the sockets, making it pretty much near impossible to unscrew the bulbs. It also stunk like a dead skunk.:eek:

I ended up replacing all 5 sockets (Chandelier fixture), which is what I probably should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The only electrical use I have ever heard of for vaseline is for car battery terminals, but even there you are supposed to use a specific type of grease, if any.
I have never used a lubricant on a light socket, and have never had trouble removing the bulb. If the bulb wants to break when I am unscrewing it, I just kill the power, and unscrew the remains with a needle-nose plier.

FW

·
Registered
24 Posts
As Jamiedolan stated earlier, they sell a product specifically for this. I do not know what it is called but do know we use it at work for bulbs that are outdoors and are in hard to reach areas. The lubricant helps keep the rust out and also makes replacing the bulbs a lot easier.

·
DIYer
910 Posts
Does the Vaseline jar specify UL approved for installing bulbs? NO.. then by code it is illegal.
That isn't how it works. UL Listing is voluntary. Also, UL is just a private company, they don't have any special legal rights or anything.

The NEC only requires certain things (and only those certain things) to be "listed" by any organization acceptable to the AHJ. That's usually UL, but it can by any product testing organization. OSHA, for example, recognizes a list of 18 different testing companies.

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
I was once told to roll the bulb threads on your forehead to pick up the oils to prevent it from sticking. Not sure how well it works, but from then on I've been doing so.
Actually you roll the bulb in your hair to pick up oils. Works well... at least it did when I still had hair..:laughing:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HD has a product

Actually you roll the bulb in your hair to pick up oils. Works well... at least it did when I still had hair..:laughing:
I was in Home Depot a few days ago and saw a product called "Bulb EZ" or "Bulb Ease" in the electrical department. It is exactly for this problem. Whether the problem actually exists is another question.

HouseHelper - there was no indication on the product as to how well is works as a hair gel.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts