DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 or 9 yrs ago my framming was done (not a fan of aluminum but not ripping it down) as you can see their is felt paper behind the studs. I am having no issues with the paper and my question is, should I put a vapour barrier now over top of the studs and insulation? Because I have the felt paper against the wall (mostly exterior walls)

Thanks
Rob

Sent from My Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Tar paper is not a vapor barrier. This Link shows the vapor retarder levels for 30 pound and 15 pound felt. It will effectively allow a little drying to the inside, which is good as long as you are not dealing with an actual water leak.

As for a vapor barrier on the inside I would not, just allow any moisture coming through to dry to the inside, it should not be a lot and if it were you would already be seeing problems. Here is another link that discusses basements.

Bud

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Where are you located and what kind of construction is the wall? It it below grade?

These things will dictate what to do. For example, vapour barriers on inside are for heating dominant climates.

Tar paper was used before my time, I think it was used to stop moisture from getting in and function as an air barrier to some extent, while allowing some moisture out. These days house wrap is used instead - performs better.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
HERE's an interesting link on vapor barriers and note the author hails from Canada.

Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts