DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storey and a half house. Renovating kitchen. Removed old insulation in ceiling along with GypRock. Installed recessed potlights (IC type) inside large plastic shells (vapor barrier. I am going to reinstall new insulation and cover the hot side with vapor barrier before installing drywall. My question is: With the recessed lighting vapor barriers, do I leave them empty or do they get illed with insulation as well? These units have about 1/4" clearance to the floor.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Storey and a half house. Renovating kitchen. Removed old insulation in ceiling along with GypRock. Installed recessed potlights (IC type) inside large plastic shells (vapor barrier. I am going to reinstall new insulation and cover the hot side with vapor barrier before installing drywall. My question is: With the recessed lighting vapor barriers, do I leave them empty or do they get illed with insulation as well? These units have about 1/4" clearance to the floor.
If you used IC type cans, You can do as you wish, I've personally never seen these vapor barriers you speak of, got a picture?

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
i think he's put prefab boxes on them, the heat from a potlight would melt vapour barrier touching it so fast it's not funny. The whole point of boxing out your pot lights is so the insulation doesn't touch them.

and yes a picture really would be worth 1000 words here :thumbup:

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
The whole point of boxing out your pot lights is so the insulation doesn't touch them.

and yes a picture really would be worth 1000 words here :thumbup:
He did use IC cans, so I'm thinking he wants to fill every void, which is acceptable with an IC style can, most of the cans I buy are air sealed already, so kinda of lost as to what he's trying to accomplish.

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
i think i found out what he's using, you shouldn't fill in the interior of the vapour barrier, not that it will matter as you have ic rated cans but what they do is keep the moisture on the "hot" side(potlight) and stop condensation from affecting your insulation. It's kind of a double edged sword, really the only time you ever need them is if you don't have enough insulation in your attic and it gets really cold up there. Moisture forms from the heat of the light on the insulation and can cause it to mold.

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. I just read that on google.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
i think i found out what he's using, you shouldn't fill in the interior of the vapour barrier, not that it will matter as you have ic rated cans but what they do is keep the moisture on the "hot" side(potlight) and stop condensation from affecting your insulation. It's kind of a double edged sword, really the only time you ever need them is if you don't have enough insulation in your attic and it gets really cold up there. Moisture forms from the heat of the light on the insulation and can cause it to mold.

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. I just read that on google.
That was a pretty good find! Is Canada allowed to use recess cans? I thought you were not allowed to make to many penetrations in the envelope of the structure.

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
i've never heard of that, we put potlights in all the time, actually potlights, skylights, you name it. it's only if it affects the structural integrity of the building. They'll make you get an engineer to tell you what you need to do to compensate for the addition load and lack of support.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am about to tackle the same project, and in my research, it looks like the simplest thing to do is use IC-rated housing with airtight trim. When you purchase the unit, it could clearly indicate this. These two criteria will eliminate the need for other steps/materials.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts