DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Quick question for you guys. I've got a vent stack going up a wall that I'm moving that's causing some wiring headache. I've got the studs exposed so I thought I was doing the best thing by putting in a new work box. Problem is there was no way to attach it where I wanted it due to the vent. So, it's recessed more than I'd like...a lot more. When I go to put the drywall on it will be covered completely. The box protrudes just to the end of the studs. So, I'll be about 1/2" recessed when drywall is on.

I wasn't a fan of the old work boxes, because I didn't think they were quite stout enough for the vanity light, which is heavier than it looks.

So, the question, how do I make up for the 1/2" recess when I go to put the light on after the drywall? If there is a better way to attach the box I can do that do...nothing is final yet.

Attachments

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
You could use something like an Arlington BE1R box extender to make up the difference.

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
No, but you will need longer 8-32 screws.

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
How far are you from the top plate?
Just wondering if you scabbed two or three 2X's from the top plate, then use
an Allied 9351,(or any nail-on ceiling box)and nail it on the scabbed boards

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How far are you from the top plate?
Just wondering if you scabbed two or three 2X's from the top plate, then use
an Allied 9351,(or any nail-on ceiling box)and nail it on the scabbed boards
That's a possibility. It's not a great distance, but it would be more work at this point. I suppose if I can still use the box I've already installed , I'd prefer it.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Add a stud and use a nail on box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts