DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this mentioned, but surely some of you guys in this field need masks like these. Is anyone finding any? I had a box but I'm on my last one, need them for work!

I can't believe in this country, TEN MONTHS after this pandemic started, we STILL can't get a supply of these basic work items. What the hell is going on with supply and manufacturing?????

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I've run into the same problem. They mostly go to hospitals, first responders, and medical field, first. Then the stores get what's left, which isn't much, couple boxes usually. If you're not there when they stock the shelves then you are sol.

I got lucky couple times, I ask the manager at the box store when they are expected in, wednesday is the day around here. But then everybody else got wise to it. So if you are not there at 7am when they open, by 715 they are gone. Like I said, when they do get a supply in, it's usually not very much and goes very quickly.

I as well thought by now everything would be stocked back up. But supply is still not meeting the demand.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I didn’t think health care workers used the ones with a valve because they don’t filter exhaled air. Maybe the valve kind went out of production to make more of the kind without a valve. Between my FL house, my NY house, my shop and my farm I found about 50 of the valve N95 kind.
I think respirators with replaceable filters are available.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yeah that's the other thing. But still, all the valved masks still say "reserved for support staff" or just out of stock.

I need the masks to do drywall sanding and demo/grinding projects. If anyone has extras I can buy I'd appreciate it.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,580 Posts
Check AMZN, you should be able to find them, but you won't like the price!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find any there either. I was able to put a couple of them in my cart, but at checkout it basically said I didn't qualify as a prioritized buyer.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Maybe the suppliers of the valved masks transitioned most of their production to unvalved masks, since those are needed more?

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
With that level of dust you should consider a full face with replacable filters and eye protection. Not full time but I have done a lot of drywall and the N95's get clogged up rather fast. And eyes need protection as well.

Bud

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Not 100% certain because that's not what I was there for, but pretty sure I saw some when I stopped by Woodcraft a week or so ago, so might be worth checking them or Rockler.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If my job put me in a dusty environment on a daily basis I would buy a PAPR respirator. It is powered and has replaceable filters. Instead of sweating in a disposable mask, you have a breeze of filtered air blowing at your face. $400 for every day comfort and safety.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's not a "daily" basis, but it's occasional. No way I'm spending $400.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
When you said it was a basic work item I figured it meant you can’t work without it. Sounds more like an occasional work item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts