DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a valve that is located indoors, but is connected to the outdoors spigot. I had it turned off for the winter, but turned it on the other day to use it temporarily. When I went to turn it off, it had a small amount of water dripping underneath, which stopped when I turned it off. Any ideas on how to repair. I checked the nut behind it, and it was very tight. Picture is attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Harold.

The top nut (with the red arrow) was already super tight. Would that get loose after opening the valve?

is the bleeder valve the valve on the bottom (with the yellow arrow)?

Ken

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,427 Posts
The top nut has a packing rubber underneath, and opening the valve will release some pressure and allow you to tighten it if it can be tightened.

Otherwise you need to replace the seal.

The lower is the bleeder that allows air to get in and let the water drip from the outside valves to prevent them from freezing and breaking.

ED

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Research Globe Stop and Waste Valve. Globe is the style and not a brand name .:wink2:If you look on the back side of the body you'll probably see an arrow meaning the valve is directional as in the waste function.

The valves with packing rope mostly seem to be history in favor of synthetic seals to prevent leaks beyond the stem. Some valves will have a Back Seat that will often stop the stem leak when fully opened.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If tightening the top nut (red arrow) doesn't stop the leak, purchase some string packing. Close valve, unscrew nut completely (no need to remove handle or turn water off) Wrap three or four wraps of string packing around stem, reinstall and tighten nut.

The reason for the bleeder valve:
Put a straw in a soft drink, put you thumb on the end of the straw. Remove the straw from soft drink. Notice that the liquid in the straw doesn't flow out until you remove your thumb. The liquid can't come out until some air can come in to replace it.

Same thing happens with your hose bib. Water can't drain out until some air can come in to replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts