DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the powerfoce helix for 50$ i believe is 2190 by bissel they also have a turbo version for 60$ but dont really like the color option for it. Why do the bissel compact vacuums have wheels that are way too small size of dimes on the front? I need one for my room and has anyone used the eureka airspeed? Just checking before i gamble the 50$ at walmart.

·
Registered
27,845 Posts
I think the larger wheels in the back are for longer transport. You tilt it up on the back wheels, say, to go to another room. I use it by it's wheels backward. But, for vacuuming, apparently, you don't need it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i noticed on walmarts shelf display the bissel powerforce COMPACT are tied down. I could barely lift it to look at the underside to only see the front wheels which are midway or so are the size of dimes. Seem real easy to wear n tear and break unless there was a seperate set of front wheels i didnt see. Ive been using my brothers full size bissel cleanview thats 8+ years old. Works great I was wanting a personal vacuum for my bedroom so went to browse only to see the regular vacuums say the helix powerforce i just ordered has the half dollar or regular sized wheels and the compacts were small like dimes or pennies. Ill see when i pick it up hopefully everythings great. This was the first time vacuuming my 5x7' i just bought two weeks ago from walmart for 20$ to help prevent wearing out my bedroom carpet only noticed my brothers cleanview would get stuck on the rug. Theres a 7x10' in the living room thats been there 15 years and it vacuums like regular carpet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just replaced my 29-year old Oreck upright (piece of junk ;)). First I bought a refurbished Shark NV801 off eBay, but while it had good suction, it weighed 14 lbs., the tools were cumbersome to use, and the powerhead dragged me on the forward stroke and resisted me pulling it back. Altogether too much work. The Oreck was only 8 lbs. so I searched for"lightweight upright vacuums" and found the highly rated Eureka PowerSpeed NEU180 at HD for $63.59 out the door. (Did not go for another Oreck because I read many reviews complaining how new ones were cheaply made and broke a lot.) The Eureka weighs 10 lbs., is easy to use on stairs and has great suction. So much so that it's a problem on area rugs (which I don't have). And the tools, like with the Shark, are a PITA to use. So I will use it purely as an upright and use a small Shop Vac for baseboards, cobwebs, etc. It also doesn't have a HEPA filter, but for a cheap vac that works well on my low-pile carpet and vinyl floors, it gets my vote.

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
Bought a Shark corded, and it did a really good job. It was for pets, so no fiber on the drum, just plastic "fingers" . Didn't clog , but still had the cord. Recently upgraded to a battery Dyson V10. What difference in night and day. Light weight, no cord, cleans like a tornado, and wife approved. Cheap, heck no.

Reactions: raylo32

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Sounds like me... I have had a Shark Navigator for a long time and it is a pretty capable unit. But maybe 4 few years ago I got my mom a Dyson V6 or 7 for Christmas and liked it so much I got myself one (a V11) a couple years ago. Very light, very effective, and NO CORD! I haven't had the Shark out of the closet since. You are correct the Dysons ain't cheap and if you had told me 20 years ago that I'd pay that $ for a vacuum cleaner I would have said you were nuts. But it is worth it. I haven't ever tried any of the Chinese clones... some of those might also be OK.

One good thing on the newest Dysons is that the battery snaps in and out so you can have a backup ready if you need more runtime. My 2 year old unit doesn't have that feature... the battery is screwed on so no quick changes. But I can do my whole house on 1 charge so it really won't matter until it is time to replace the battery.

Bought a Shark corded, and it did a really good job. It was for pets, so no fiber on the drum, just plastic "fingers" . Didn't clog , but still had the cord. Recently upgraded to a battery Dyson V10. What difference in night and day. Light weight, no cord, cleans like a tornado, and wife approved. Cheap, heck no.

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
I would like the battery change option, as the V10 doesn't have it. Wife's main complaint is that she can't vacuum the entire house on one charge. We have dogs, so she is emptying it every 10 minutes or so, and it does pick up everything insight.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Do you have the "Animal" version? I wonder what the difference is for those compared to the regular. Thinking of getting one for my GF to keep after my little shedding JRT buddy.

I believe the battery hot swap feature is on all or most the current offerings. I had been thinking about getting a second battery and went to the site and it makes sure you check what you've got so you buy the correct battery. Like for my V11 it had pictures of the batteries and mounts to show the difference when they changed over in the mfg run. I did not check to see if the new battery socket can be retrofitted... you might have a look at that.

Edit: Just looking again and it may be that the click in batteries only come on couple of the the new even more expensive models.

I would like the battery change option, as the V10 doesn't have it. Wife's main complaint is that she can't vacuum the entire house on one charge. We have dogs, so she is emptying it every 10 minutes or so, and it does pick up everything insight.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
They are handy and do a great job with surface dirt.

Speaking as the guy who just cleaned the carpet in the family room and saw the sediment in the recovery tank, they don't have the power to pull the dirt out of the fibers.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
She has a Bissel steam cleaner (that I have repaired several times) for the heavy duty clean. As for my place, I am not the... ahem... most regular cleaner and pulling out the corded vac was a rare occurrence. Then I got the Dyson and did my carpeted steps the first time and that alone filled the unit's bin. Uggghhh. I was amazed what it did pull out. Now when I do it, which is much more often since it is so easy, it finds next to nothing.

As an aside, she had her carpets replaced awhile back with some special kind that resists pet messes. So when the little piddler can't help himself the cleanup is easy and there are no signs he ever did anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts