DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone give me some pointers on how to deal with tiling a floor at one level, putting wood down on an adjacent sunken floor, and what approach I have to take to the step which joins the two? I don’t know whether to tile the step or put wood flooring on it – is there some kind of protocol involved? Note the picture attached showing both floors and the step.The pooch is standing on the level that's going to be tiled. The lower level is the one that's going to have wood placed over it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Tile on a step is a risky thing to do---Best to use wood and a matching wood stair nose where the tile meets the step.

Stairs move---they take a beating,especially the edges.--Best to use a product that can take a punishment.--Mike---

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike,
So you're suggesting a wooden stair nose along the top edge where the tile is going to be laid down, then wood all the way down to the lower floor?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Good catch---I thought that was a wood structure----If concrete steps --tile with a tile cap mught be the easiest solution. Keep some extra caps around --just in case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, you guys are confusing me!

Yep, the floor and step are concrete.

So what are you suggesting now, that I use tile all the way down, including the step, to the lower floor that's going to have wood on it?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It's difficult to attach wood nosing and treads to concrete --It can be done--and I have done it.

However tile would be easier.---I do prefer a wood nose on stairs but the tile edge is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts