DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I’m very nervous about it. My smoke alarms always go off. Yes, there was s buildup of black greasy stuff on oven floor. Wiped some up.

My smoke alarms are around a corner about 10’ away and they’re wired so not easy to get off. Maybe I should just take them off now? At least i have earplugs around my neck for quick use.

Its a GE and set for 4:20 hours but I think I’ll stop it sooner because I have work to do and can’t set nearby for 4 hours

Do other people dislike using Self Clean feature? I’d also dislike more cleaning by hand.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, it can be very smoky and trigger a smoke alarm.

I do a quick wash/rinse with a rag and detergent and water before I do a self-clean. That’s to remove excess oiliness, if any, that would exacerbate smoking.

I also turn on two window fans set to exhaust so any smoke is removed immediately. This makes self-cleaning not so annoying.

Edit - Actually, what makes self-cleaning annoying is that I have to clear my deep kitchen window sill (stool? But I don’t sit on it. ) of all the many plants I have on it so I can place d window fan in d window.

Since I’ve bought an air fryer, I use d oven less. There’s just two of us so an air fryer is just d right size to quickly roast/broil anything.

·
Big Dog
2,604 Posts
Even if you turn off the detectors, you may will still need to vent the kitchen or rooms nearby.

I have a Bosch hybrid range and in self-clean mode it puts out a lot of heat.

Our kitchen opens onto a deck through sliding glass doors. The kitchen door to the dining room is directly opposite and there is a bay window in that room.

Every time I tun self-clean I open the sliding glass door and one of the bay windows which sets up a cross-breeze to vent to the heat.

Even in the winter it can be an overwhelming amount of heat. If I have to do it in the winter, I only open one bay window and the sliding glass door about a 8-inches.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I never use the self cleaning feature. Besides, I read that it screws up
the computers in the oven.

On my oven floor, I keep a big roasting tray that I keep covered in
foil. This collects any drippings. The newer ovens have a coating
that is easy to clean, nothing sticks.

I spray a degreased or spray oven cleaner and then wipe with a
damp rag. It goes quick.

I have a gas stove.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The self-cleaning works okay in my oven however it doesn't solve the dirt in-between the glass plates in the door. There are 3 and it seems like I need to take the whole door apart to get to them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I was supposed to clean mine this summer when it was warm but now not sure if I'll tackle it until next year. It has waited this long another few months won't be a disaster. Fortunately I do most of my cooking up top.

Or I may just do the oven cleaner routine.

Bud

·
Hammered Thumb
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
On our old GE, the bottom plate of the oven comes out quite easily, so I can take it outside and spray it with oven cleaner. There are two dowels at the back, lift the front of it and slide it off the dowels.

Make sure you don't leave the chrome racks in, or they will be blued by the heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts