DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
Bad advise. This could complicate a sale of the home at a future date.
sometimes, not often. a lot of the SFH's in chitcago are total "pieces". many have roofs that you would :eek: wtf at. many still have K&T, then during the winter they plug in space heaters = house burns down.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
Even in areas that allow NM there are instances where it is not allowed like places of assembly or above commercial drop ceilings.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
Home Theater
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for all the replies. All seem plausible, especially defending against stray bullets from the South Side :LOL: . I'm 50 miles away, but you can never be too careful. 🚑

To answer a previous question, this is just a standard install for some outlets and a light switch/socket in a roughed in non-bedroom. I had actually planned on hiring an electrician to do it because they could do it in a few hours and I don't have much free time these days. It's when I got a quote from him that he said there might be issues running Romex where I live (Campton Hills, IL), and sure enough, there are.

Appreciate all the knowledgeable feedback in here. I had lived in the Twin Cities (MN) my whole life and never knew some places wouldn't allow Romex. I bought a 250ft spool of it in January 2020, so maybe I can sell it for a small profit! Otherwise, back to Home Depot it goes.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,453 Posts
Maybe I should start a new thread....but we are so close on topic, can any of our pro;s estimate as a percentage of cost, how much more in an open wall new construction ,would conduit cost over a romex install.

Just curious as to ballpark. (I do very little conduit, and it is always an outside simple run)

(Without fishing, I think it could get real costly (depending on exact crirumstances)verse romex in a retro fit)

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
the only thing I don't like is some government agency dictateing my risk verse cost choice
The problem is, in a city tightly packed with houses... your house fire is my house fire.

So I see their point.

You see the same kind of rulemaking in high density housing like condos. In fact, the city of Oakland, CA had a gigantic problem when high density housing was assembled gypsy-style.

So it's more of a "your right to swing your fist ends at my face" sort of deal.

I bought a 250ft spool of it in January 2020, so maybe I can sell it for a small profit! Otherwise, back to Home Depot it goes.
If you present a reciept that old, I wouldn't expect success. They can call up your receipt if you have the credit card you bought it on (so that won't work either lol).

On the other hand if you say you paid cash and lost your receipt, they'll give you store credit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you present a reciept that old, I wouldn't expect success. They can call up your receipt if you have the credit card you bought it on (so that won't work either lol).

On the other hand if you say you paid cash, they'll give you store credit.
I didn't say that. Someone is playing games.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Heh I can't wait till he hits the plumbing codes... I have never seen a more complicated & screwed up system for dealing with dishwashers & garbage disposals.
If you are a confident DIYer, go about your your business and do your electrical work. Even Chicago doesn’t have a electrical police checking for Romax in homes.
Actually, they do in Chicago - granted it is only when they see work being done but they will show up with their badge in hand & nail you. They have a few nice networks for getting those tips... Oh, have a house fire & romex is seen as possible cause - you could be denied. A few suburbs did allow for Romex for a while but they have since given in to only allowing conduit only as everyone knows that conduit is a superior product do to its grounding...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I didn't say that. Someone is playing games.
Gosh sorry Roger! It was an editing error.

I suspect I marrked both you and him for quoting, and after inserting decided not to reply to your quote, so snipped it out. But I snipped the wrong part. I'll be more careful going forward.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Heh I can't wait till he hits the plumbing codes... I have never seen a more complicated & screwed up system for dealing with dishwashers & garbage disposals.

Actually, they do in Chicago - granted it is only when they see work being done but they will show up with their badge in hand & nail you. They have a few nice networks for getting those tips... Oh, have a house fire & romex is seen as possible cause - you could be denied. A few suburbs did allow for Romex for a while but they have since given in to only allowing conduit only as everyone knows that conduit is a superior product do to its grounding...
Here is the code enforcement site for the city of Chicago.
Could you find the link to the electrical code police that will arrest someone, if they have Romax wiring in their own home? I am interested in that NETWORK for the code tips.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Gosh sorry Roger! It was an editing error.

I suspect I marrked both you and him for quoting, and after inserting decided not to reply to your quote, so snipped it out. But I snipped the wrong part. I'll be more careful going forward.
Glad to see I’m not the only one that makes mistakes.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,453 Posts
The problem is, in a city tightly packed with houses... your house fire is my house fire.

So I see their point.

You see the same kind of rulemaking in high density housing like condos. In fact, the city of Oakland, CA had a gigantic problem when high density housing was assembled gypsy-style.

So it's more of a "your right to swing your fist ends at my face" sort of deal.
HARP....i know all the "third party" arguments....and they can go on forever to quazi justify "THIRD PARTY " arguments. A fireman could get hurt fighting the fire, an ember could jump to another home three doors or 2 miles away, smoke from your fire could endanger neighbors or the atmosphere, we could waste precious water fighting your fire, adinfinitum.

I can't think of anything that does not have a possible "third party" affect, and will lend justifiaction to some rule maker.

So, how do we define" high density housing"...is close proximity 5-10-15 -100 -400 feet setbacks.

I would agree with special safety considerations legislated on multi-family,(one singular building) condo developments, aparttments etc.......double firewalls, concrete over garages with living space above, maybe fire water systems.

But, I think alot is malarky....or at least should be left to the individual and his neighbor as to where they want to live.

I'm not a believer that romex presents a significant enough risk to justify the cost of conduit.

We hear, and even argue, that those wanton and careles homebuilders do not want to incur the additional cost of these legislated public safety rules....but they don't give a damn...it's the buyers that can not afford these regulations.

I am very skeptical of Chicago's motivation in legislating conduit....I would love a perfectly safe environment....but there is a very real cost in regulations with quazi justification on "third party" effects and in legislating my own responsibilty to be safe relative to some rulemaker who has no other job but to make rules.

Now, this is a pecular argument coming from me, because as true Miltonisk conservative, I believe we should incorporate all third party costs in all products....that's how efficient capitalism works.

But, I do believe there are real but also perceived or often contrived third part costs, that are normal risks of living and in this case a choice of where we chose to live.

Best

Peter

·
Registered
572 Posts
I honestly don’t think every suburb in the Chicago area is as strict as the actual city of Chicago. Many adopt the NEC with very few modifications, or the international plumbing code and the Illinois plumbing code. It’s the actual city of Chicago (not Chicago Heights which was linked, and which is totally different) that is influenced by unions to the point that they keep things more strict, requiring EMT and copper pipes instead of Romex and PEX. It’s just that since Chicagoland is so big, and Chicago makes up a large percentage of it, a lot of electricians and plumbers have conformed to the stricter codes there for years to be safe (edit: as far as passing inspections) rather than looking up the local suburb codes and their amendments every time they make a call.

Edit: Also want to mention that Chicago proper has so many renters and they frequently report any issues they can find with code and other violations, sometimes for good reason (flaking lead paint, etc.).

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
I honestly don’t think every suburb in the Chicago area is as strict as the actual city of Chicago. Many adopt the NEC with very few modifications, or the international plumbing code and the Illinois plumbing code. It’s the actual city of Chicago (not Chicago Heights which was linked, and which is totally different) that is influenced by unions to the point that they keep things more strict, requiring EMT and copper pipes instead of Romex and PEX. It’s just that since Chicagoland is so big, and Chicago makes up a large percentage of it, a lot of electricians and plumbers have conformed to the stricter codes there for years to be safe (edit: as far as passing inspections) rather than looking up the local suburb codes and their amendments every time they make a call.

Edit: Also want to mention that Chicago proper has so many renters and they frequently report any issues they can find with code and other violations, sometimes for good reason (flaking lead paint, etc.).

i am not sure, but i think all of cRook co is that code. i moved to WILL co and my town does not follow many of those codes. romex is ok if its covered(in a wall), exposed needs to be emt.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i am not sure, but i think all of cRook co is that code. i moved to WILL co and my town does not follow many of those codes. romex is ok if its covered(in a wall), exposed needs to be emt.
Pretty sure all of unincorporated cook county has strict codes, Chicago has its own separate strict codes, but if you’re in any city outside Chicago within cook county you don’t follow either one of those but instead whatever your city decides. So it’s time-consuming if you’re a plumber or electrician (or a home builder) and serve cook county: even though romex and PEX might be allowed by the city, you don’t want to have to track down the books and read, so why not go above and beyond with conduit and copper and then you’re good. As a homeowner living in a non-Chicago city within cook county, you can just call your local building department and see what code they use and read their amendments.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
HARP....i know all the "third party" arguments....and they can go on forever to quazi justify "THIRD PARTY " arguments. A fireman could get hurt fighting the fire, an ember could jump to another home three doors or 2 miles away, smoke from your fire could endanger neighbors or the atmosphere, we could waste precious water fighting your fire, adinfinitum.

I can't think of anything that does not have a possible "third party" affect, and will lend justifiaction to some rule maker.

I'm not a believer that romex presents a significant enough risk to justify the cost of conduit.
Yeah, so it's full circle back to "where do we draw the line".

So, how do we define" high density housing"...is close proximity 5-10-15 -100 -400 feet setbacks.
That's a hard question, honestly, with probably no ideal answers. The American West has a better grip on fire consequences because "defensible space" is in the lexicon of every homeowner, and because one jackass can cause disproportionate damage. But Chicago went with "inside city limits" and so did a number of suburbs.

A lot of other cities say "multi-family structure" or "stacked multi-family structure" or "multi-family above a certain size". But all cities draw a line somewhere.

I am very skeptical of Chicago's motivation in legislating conduit....I would love a perfectly safe environment....but there is a very real cost in regulations with quazi justification on "third party" effects and in legislating my own responsibilty to be safe relative to some rulemaker who has no other job but to make rules.
Corruption??? In CHICAGO politics!!!??? What are the chances of that? :)

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Notice the part where they allow Romex, but then, disallow it everywhere... except single-family homes.

If their code for single-family homes includes the usual comfort setbacks, Illinois is pretty wet so fires aren't going to jump a typical setback... there's your "personal responsibility/consequences" rule Peter.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts