DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

A "Handy Husband"
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a yard sale this morning and bought a 500 foot reel of #12 stranded wire for $5. It is unused wire but has some age on it- I would guess 20 years or more based on the condition of the reel and packaging. The wire is rated THHN or THWN or MTW (stenciled on the wire, the reel and box are unmarked).

Any reason not to use this wire?

Registered
No reason not to use it, but I would examine it as I spool it off. Good thing it's stranded, it won't have much of a coil memory.

Registered
Is there a ground wire?

Registered
If it looks in good condition, it could be used,
How ever some people,
might not like to take any chances due to liability issue's.
Depends on what and were you use it !

" Euro " electrician
I would dare megger it before I use that spool that old so you don't have waste time find out it have a insulation crack in there but as long it is clean and dry you should be ok.

Just scrap the first outside layer if you really want to be safe but it is your call on that.

Merci,
Marc

JOATMON
I would dare megger it before I use that spool that old so you don't have waste time find out it have a insulation crack in there but as long it is clean and dry you should be ok.

Just scrap the first outside layer if you really want to be safe but it is your call on that.

Merci,
Marc
That is what I was going to say. About the only thing that will hurt the wire is heat and UV rays.

I've worked on panels with THHN/THWN wiring in it that was over 50 years old....because the panel was not exposed to sunlight...the wire was fine.

Registered
Or examine the outside layer carefully while pulling off wire to use little by little; after that, use the inner layers without as careful examination.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts