DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming it's okay but just wanted to see the downsides. I have a spool of 12/2 wire and I want to re-wire the lights in the basement so is it okay to use this instead of buying new 14/2. What are the downsides besides the little extra bulk?

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
I'm assuming it's okay but just wanted to see the downsides. I have a spool of 12/2 wire and I want to re-wire the lights in the basement so is it okay to use this instead of buying new 14/2. What are the downsides besides the little extra bulk?
Only the cost. If you need 12-2 for something in the future you will have to buy it at a higher price than buying 14-2 now. Other than that, no down side.

·
DIY = Done Right 1st Time
74 Posts
Box fill is also a consideration. You can put less #2 wires in a box than #14.
:laughing: When it comes to 14 vs 12 that's not an issue.

Go ahead and use the 12. I will be doing the same thing for my basement lighting this weekend. Use what ya got! I'm pretty sure the last time I bought 250ft of 12-2 romex it was cheaper than 6 months prior...

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Are you serious? It's a minimal difference in wire sizing. Most electrical boxes have more than enough room to do typical wiring. If you were running 10ga instead of 14 that might be more of an issue.
Sorry Dude. You are completely wrong here.
Most normal boxes do NOT have "more than enough room". Try wiring some dimmers, 3-ways and 4-ways with all #12 and tell me how you like it and tell me how easy it is to stay complaint with box fill.

I do this every day and can tell you it is not as easy.

That said, if you have a quantity of 12/2, use it. Just be careful and take you time laying things out. Also, there is absolutely no reason to "use larger wire than required". If you use all #12 than use 20A breakers and put a bit more on a circuit than with #14.

·
7,829 Posts
Hudson Valley area. :thumbsup:

·
74 Posts
Very cool. Down by the city...

While I agree my 3 gang was a little crowded with (2) 3way, and a 4way switch in there... it was doable. Used 12ga to feed the switches, then 14ga too the other switches/fixtures. :jester:

·
7,829 Posts
Very cool. Down by the city...
Oh come on now. Not really. I am much closer to Albany.

While I agree my 3 gang was a little crowded with (2) 3way, and a 4way switch in there... it was doable.
Of course it is doable. It's just easier and less stressful to use #14.

Used 12ga to feed the switches, then 14ga too the other switches/fixtures. :jester:
Now THIS is not a good idea. In this case the #12 is basically wasted. There is even less of a reason to mix wire sizes than to use all #12. Now you HAVE to use a 15 amp breaker even though you used some #12 on the circuit.

·
74 Posts
Oh come on now. Not really. I am much closer to Albany.

Of course it is doable. It's just easier and less stressful to use #14.

Now THIS is not a good idea. In this case the #12 is basically wasted. There is even less of a reason to mix wire sizes than to use all #12. Now you HAVE to use a 15 amp breaker even though you used some #12 on the circuit.

Ah, was kinda a guess on my part. I confused your county.

Well back when I ran the service leads from the breaker box to the room I was renovating I only had 12-2 at my disposal. So i pulled 2 runs (1 outlet, 1 lighting). I ran the 12-2 into the 3gang box, then ran 3 pig tails off to the (2) 3ways & 4way. Then from the switches I continued to the other switches/lighting with 14-2/3. The circuit is labeled and is run to a 15A breaker.

When all switches are active I have about 7a of lighting.

·
7,829 Posts
The circuit is labeled and is run to a 15A breaker.
That's the best thing to do in a situation like that but very few people do it. :thumbsup:

·
7,829 Posts
Make sure you use the right type of merits
"Merits"? You mean smokes? :whistling2:

You MUST be a carpenter. :laughing: :laughing:

·
7,829 Posts
I know what you meant. I was just messin'.

I think it is spelled marrette. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
If you are taking off from a circuit that has #14, it probably has a 15 amp breaker. Any fture work tapping on to the #12, may assume it was a 20 amp circuit and create some problems. I ran into this with a townhouse I bought since everything was buried and finished.

Dick

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FWIW, inside my 25 cent Carlon handy box it says: 18 cubic inches, 9 14 gauge, 8 12 gauge, 7 10 gauge.

That seems like a lot wire in that little bitty box. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts