DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone had any experience with that joist tape made by green glue? It states you can also use it on wall studs between studs and drywall to help stop sound transfer, I guess a kind of decoupling. Any ideas from anyone on this or maybe even using something like sill seal foam strip on studs to help stop sound transfer? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I'm trying to keep as much noise from getting out as I can in my music room, we play all kinds of instruments in it. I thought maybe that foam insulation tape might be good too so the drywall is not sitting directly on wood studs. It's just way cheaper and slightly thicker I think than green glue tape. But who knows about that.

Also do you think I need it on 100% of the studs or would it work spread out in strips to make it go further?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, use the GreenGlue tape strips. It will help a little. Depending on the noise you're trying to damping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You think I could get away with using it in steps spread out evenly so the drywall is still separated or would I need to do it on 100% of the stud? Thanks!

·
retired framer
39,003 Posts
You think I could get away with using it in steps spread out evenly so the drywall is still separated or would I need to do it on 100% of the stud? Thanks!
If you know where you are going to place screws you could just tape that area.
So you are hoping that the rest of the stud does not touch the board.
Might work...............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you know where you are going to place screws you could just tape that area.
So you are hoping that the rest of the stud does not touch the board.
Might work...............
Yea exactly. Just where the screws are bc it will pull closest there?

·
retired framer
39,003 Posts
I bought a new house years ago and someone had ths plan of some black goop on spots on the studs and then loosened the screw a little so the goop would bridge the gap for straight wall and sound proofing.
Any time someone leaned on the wall the drywall breaks and you get something like a nail pop with out a nail or screw, that was a fun house to have kids in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a new house years ago and someone had ths plan of some black goop on spots on the studs and then loosened the screw a little so the goop would bridge the gap for straight wall and sound proofing.
Any time someone leaned on the wall the drywall breaks and you get something like a nail pop with out a nail or screw, that was a fun house to have kids in.
Oh man haha, good idea but didn't work so well. I also wonder if the foam weatherstripping used on doors would work in place of it too. On the site it says put two layers on every other wall stud so it's 1/4" thick, thx tape is 1/8", I think 1/4" weatherstripping would be cheaper and appears to be about the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts