·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
You have three choices:

1. Use Roundup, which kills all vegitation in the area.

2. Treat the area with a pre-emergent crab grass controller.

3. Since it is such a small area, pull out the unwanted vegetation.

Dick

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have three choices:

1. Use Roundup, which kills all vegitation in the area.

2. Treat the area with a pre-emergent crab grass controller.

3. Since it is such a small area, pull out the unwanted vegetation.

Dick
When using Roundup grass killer should I do it on a hot day or a colder day? Now were in the 60's, but the next few days we will be in the 80's.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Roundup. Nice still day. It is a powerful herbicide. Consumers can still buy it which amazes me at times.

Do get a tank sprayer and mark it for use as for herbicides only. Cost you $20? You can then buy and mix Roundup concentrated in gallons, five gallons or 55 gallon drums if you want. Those cute little gallon things with a spray nozzle attached? $30 or whatever walking out the door with happy consumers who shop at box stores? Crack me up.

Roundup, at least for the application you have in mind, is a non-selective and systemic herbicide. It will kill everything you spray it on. It got approved because it breaks down fast and does relatively no harm to the environment. I personally, am concerned about resistance to it being bioengineered into things like food crops. Corn in particular.

·
Energy Saver
61 Posts
RoundUp can get expensive

dinosaur1,

After spending $100+ a year on RoundUp and Ground Clear. I found something called Big N' Tuf Weed and Grass killer at Tractor Supply.

I spent $50 on a 2 1/2 gallon jug about 3 years ago and still have plenty for this season. It's concentrated and kills everything. Even small trees.

Here's a link to the web page...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...uf-trade-weed-grass-killer-2-1-2-gal--4201103

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roundup. Nice still day. It is a powerful herbicide. Consumers can still buy it which amazes me at times.

Do get a tank sprayer and mark it for use as for herbicides only. Cost you $20? You can then buy and mix Roundup concentrated in gallons, five gallons or 55 gallon drums if you want. Those cute little gallon things with a spray nozzle attached? $30 or whatever walking out the door with happy consumers who shop at box stores? Crack me up.

Roundup, at least for the application you have in mind, is a non-selective and systemic herbicide. It will kill everything you spray it on. It got approved because it breaks down fast and does relatively no harm to the environment. I personally, am concerned about resistance to it being bioengineered into things like food crops. Corn in particular.
Are you referring to the Roundup Concentrate? I have a little 1 qt jig of that stuff...man that stuff is pricey. Where do you buy it?

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
dinosaur1,

After spending $100+ a year on RoundUp and Ground Clear. I found something called Big N' Tuf Weed and Grass killer at Tractor Supply.

I spent $50 on a 2 1/2 gallon jug about 3 years ago and still have plenty for this season. It's concentrated and kills everything. Even small trees.

Here's a link to the web page...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...uf-trade-weed-grass-killer-2-1-2-gal--4201103
Yep! The great thing is that RoundUp has been around long enough that there are off-brand herbicides that do the same thing. MUCH cheaper. Just be careful to note what the percentages are.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DrHicks said:
Yep! The great thing is that RoundUp has been around long enough that there are off-brand herbicides that do the same thing. MUCH cheaper. Just be careful to note what the percentages are.
What cheap option is out there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
When using the stuff around vegetation you plan on keeping be extremely careful especially on windy days.Might suggest using thick rubber gloves with a pair of old socks over them.You then soak the sock and saturate the weed from the base up the stalk.:)

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
When using the stuff around vegetation you plan on keeping be extremely careful especially on windy days.Might suggest using thick rubber gloves with a pair of old socks over them.You then soak the sock and saturate the weed from the base up the stalk.:)
Good point! What you described is pretty much the old "Rope Wick Weed Wipers" we used to use on the farm. It literally rubbed RoundUp on the weeds.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought some RoundUp concentrate today to make 5 gallons. What's the most effective way to use this stuff? Use it when its hot and sunny?

The RoundUp spray gun with the 1 gallon jug costs more than this? Why would people buy one over the other?

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts

Roundup, at least for the application you have in mind, is a non-selective and systemic herbicide. It will kill everything you spray it on. It got approved because it breaks down fast and does relatively no harm to the environment. I personally, am concerned about resistance to it being bioengineered into things like food crops. Corn in particular.[/quote]

You and my still in college son should have a discussion, he actually studied this concept @ the University of Pittsburgh.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
I bought some RoundUp concentrate today to make 5 gallons. What's the most effective way to use this stuff? Use it when its hot and sunny?

The RoundUp spray gun with the 1 gallon jug costs more than this? Why would people buy one over the other?
About all you need - weather wise - is to NOT have it rain on the weeds you sprayed until at least several hours after you spray. Preferably a day, but sometimes you're not that lucky.

RoundUp now sells their stuff in every conceivable concoction. You can get the premixed stuff in a simple spray bottle, pick it up and start spraying weeds. You can get the same premix in a bigger bottle with a separate spray head.

You can also get concentrate, super concentrate, ultra concentrate, and (probably) Ninja Kick The Balls Off The Weeds Concentrate. That stuff has to be mixed with water, and you use your own sprayer.

I have always gotten the "regular" concentrate. It's much cheaper than the premixed stuff, and I can always go back and re-spray the same weeds a day or two later.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
Even though it says rainproof in 30 minutes?
Yeah, I dunno. How would you ever prove or disprove that? I just try to use it on a day when it's not supposed to rain for awhile.

Also, don't be disappointed when, a day later, the weeds aren't dead. RoundUp typically takes 2-3 days before you notice anything even starting to happen. Usually a week to really kill the stuff.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DrHicks said:
Yeah, I dunno. How would you ever prove or disprove that? I just try to use it on a day when it's not supposed to rain for awhile.

Also, don't be disappointed when, a day later, the weeds aren't dead. RoundUp typically takes 2-3 days before you notice anything even starting to happen. Usually a week to really kill the stuff.
I used weed b gone (the stuff that's not supposed to kill grass) to kill some dandelions recently and now I have yellow spots in the areas I sprayed. Whats the best way to get these spots back to normal?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts