DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hear that is it acceptable to wrap an electrical connection such as a recepticle with elctrical tape to provide an extra measure of safely, and then inserting it ( recepticle) back into the metal housing that is attached to a wall. Is this acceptable?

Thanks

·
Licensed electrician
13,380 Posts
There is no need for tape. You remove or insert the device from the box with the power off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is no need for tape but no harm in using it either, aside from just wasting time and materials.

·
Super Moderator
20,886 Posts
There is no need to wrap. However it there is nothing in the code preventing you from doing it if you wish.

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
I tend to hide the terminals especially if in middle of construction phase where they may be exposed while live (ex: when painting). I've also seen plugs in old boxes that are worn and dented where the screws are a tad too close to comfort.

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
I don't think that one layer of electrical tape does any good.

If you stuffed the switch or receptacle into the box and a ground wire happened to press against the tape, chances are that over the years, vibration such as from heavy trucks rumbling by on the street will wear through the tape and cause a short circuit anyway.

If you were prudent and made sure that unrelated wires were out of the way of the screws, then you never needed the tape.

And if you were rambunctious enough with a screwdriver to dent the body of a receptcle, then you would poke right through the tape.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
There is no need for tape but no harm in using it either, aside from just wasting time and materials.
apparently you have never had to deal with the black goo that results from this practice. So, you take that goo, transfer it to your hand, grab a screwdriver, then try to set it back down and can't because it is stuck so you shake your hand trying to flip it off just as your wife walks by and it flies off and pokes her in the eye and then you are off to the hospital and now she can't drive anymore because she has no depth perception so it's unsafe so she loses her job and now you can afford to pay all the bills so now your house is being foreclosed on and then you and the Mrs. are living in a cardboard box in the alley and neither of you have "the golden voice of Ted Williams" to fall back on so there you are; destitute and all because of what? You had to put black tape on your receps.

So now tell me that it causes no harm.

·
Electrical Supplier
205 Posts
I replaced all the devices in my house after movein. They were all taped inside metal boxes.......PITA........that tape after 50 something years turns to a glue almost. Its gross and gums up your screwdrivers......HOWEVER, it does give you a piece of mind for those close sides on the metal boxes....

Replace the box if you can with a plastic one....much easier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IT depends for me- IF I know a home owner is going to go back into a box (switch is very popular) I will tape but if I know I am the only one going in and out I don't tape them. (IL you must use metal boxes for 90 percent of the state). Also I tape all GFI's along with if people want the fancy decora outlets and switches. Just not even enough room to pull anything out of a box without hitting the mud ring.

BTW-- I tend to not work things off anymore......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts