DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a vivarium room with many fluorescents, pumps and heaters.
I currently have 6 outlets available, all on a 15 AMP breaker, which is not enough for my needs... I noticed there was a free 20 amp breaker in the breaker box. I would like to add 2 or 3 outlets so I can split all my wattage on those 2 breakers.
I know there are some stuffs I can't do, because I would loose the insurance I have, so my question is how should I procede, to do as much as I can all by myself. Then I can call a pro so he can do the part I am not suposed to, and check everything else?

Thanks in advance

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I am setting up a vivarium room with many fluorescents, pumps and heaters.
I currently have 6 outlets available, all on a 15 AMP breaker, which is not enough for my needs... I noticed there was a free 20 amp breaker in the breaker box. I would like to add 2 or 3 outlets so I can split all my wattage on those 2 breakers.
I know there are some stuffs I can't do, because I would loose the insurance I have, so my question is how should I procede, to do as much as I can all by myself. Then I can call a pro so he can do the part I am not suposed to, and check everything else?

Thanks in advance
To order to use the 20 amp breaker you will have to make sure you have 4.0mm² { #12 AWG } conductor there if you have 2.5mm² { #14 AWG } you are restricted to 15 amp breaker size.

This is in the house or Apartment or others??

And I notice that you are from Québec area I can reply in French if you request to.{ I will leave both French and Engish so other can read clear in the fourm }

Merci.
Marc

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Check with your local code enforcement, they will tell you how much you can do.

I can only post in English, Marc's got me beat.

:laughing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I know I will be needing 12gauge
this is for a room in my house
I guess what I wanna know is, what is safe to do and what's not! :p
Should I put the #12 wire thru the suspended ceiling? is it safe to put an outlet inside the suspended ceiling?
I am unsure, but I think I need someone with electricians license in order to actually play with the breaker box, most of the other things, I can do myself but I will have to check it out like you said.
What I could also do is, switch some of the already in use outlet, onto the other free breaker, IF it is #12!!
Make sense?

J'ai aucun problème avec le francais mais je prefere ecrire en anglais ;)

oh and proby, i got the answer to you sig: sex ;) (hoping you are not religious ah ;)

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Ok fair engough I will leave it engish for you.

Now you just open a new can of worm here { issue } is the supened ceiling is used for air handling space if so there a very strict code on that part if not then you can able run the romex cable but please do not lay it on the supened ceiling at all.

If you are not confortable with the electrique system you can call in electrician to come out and do it for you in safe manner.

The other issue is the receptale in the supened ceiling I know in USA genrally not allowed but I do not know if Canada still allowed or not so check with your electrician they will know the latest code in your area.

Merci.
Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the suspended ceiling isnt for air ventilation, it is a typical basement ceiling, I will make sure to staple the cable onto the wood part so it doesnt touch the ceiling
merci pour laide marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts