DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Another one falling for the copper industry propaganda that #12 will save money on your electric bill.
That's something of a ridiculous notion. One I've never heard of and one that makes no sense to me.
I use 12gauge wiring so no matter what usage the outlet gets, by whatever homeowner who lives in the house, the circuit will not blow a breaker under normal use.
I've never had an electrician, on any job in the last 20 years or so, install 14 gauge wiring for any outlets.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,993 Posts
That's something of a ridiculous notion. One I've never heard of and one that makes no sense to me.
I use 12gauge wiring so no matter what usage the outlet gets, by whatever homeowner who lives in the house, the circuit will not blow a breaker under normal use.
I've never had an electrician, on any job in the last 20 years or so, install 14 gauge wiring for any outlets.
Your last statement, I just don't believe.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
MY three cents.

First off, I am not the electrician, even though I carry an electrical license for security systems licensing.

However, ALL homes I've worked on in the last, oh so many years, have been wired with 12-2 & 12-3 for lights and outlets.

The electricians I've worked with find that it makes more business sense for a couple reasons.

1. Less inventory to manage.

2. Helps prevent mistakes by helpers.

3. Negligible cost difference.

Much the same reason I only carried 14-4 audio wire in my business. It's a lot easier to carry ONE size wire to the job sites on the truck, and it actually makes it easier to have inventory control/cost control.

·
Super Moderator
21,089 Posts
here's copper.org propaganda page.

http://www.copper.org/applications/electrical/building/a6119.html

Why use #12? It costs more. It's harder to work with. It takes up more box fill space. Give me a good reason to use #12. I have never tripped a 15 amp circuit. Some circuits require it like kitchen but other than that why?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
quite the response!

my main concern is obviously safety and taking into consideration my use for the outlets, if I am asking for something that is not safe then I will go another route. that said, I did some more looking and found that two of the lights are on a single 15A circuit and the other is also on a 15A. I'm not sure that the light sockets don't also share a circuit with anything else. the LED shop lights list 38W and 0.38A. thanks for the help!

·
Lectrishun
31 Posts
So you even use 12ga wire for dryer outlets?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Nothing wrong with that BX. Just wire it up for the outlets and be done with it. If you want to switch them off and on with a switch, you will have to use a Switch Leg.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts