DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i am reconstructing a porch column that I found was rotting at the base. the previous builder did NOT use and treated wood on the column, and the plywood that was redheaded to the ground had rotted out along with the base of the 2x4 frame. I am using treated lumber to frame out the column, but am curious to know if I can still use untreated wood to Finish and trim. if so, what special steps should I take? T.I.A

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
Why would you want to use untreated wood for the trim when you saw what happened with the column? If you are trying to save a few dollars buy less ice cream.

·
Naildriver
10,829 Posts
Not knowing how the column was built, I'd be skeptical of using pressure treated dimension lumber. I would not hesitate to use a 4x4 or 6x6 as a base and trim around them, but they tend to twist too much and could lead to early failure. Using non treated wood will require constant maintenance such as painting. The column should be resting on a column base (Simpson Strongtie example) to keep it from soaking up the weather. Your base trim can cover that metal post base, and if the trim becomes damaged, you can always just replace it rather than the entire column.

Plywood on columns, unless it is beveled on the corners will only allow moisture into the midsection and cause failure, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts