DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run a new 12/3 to wire a room added on the back of the house. One circuit will be 6 wall outlets. The other will be a ceiling fan and 4 recessed cans. Can I add 2 outdoor lights-using standard outdoor bulbs-to the same circuit as the ceiling lights? Do I use the wall switch(box properly sized) as the junction for the outlet wiring and feed to wall switch for outdoor lights?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Can I add 2 outdoor lights-using standard outdoor bulbs-to the same circuit as the ceiling lights?
Sure

Do I use the wall switch(box properly sized) as the junction for the outlet wiring and feed to wall switch for outdoor lights?
Sure

Make note that you will need a 2 pole breaker for the 12-3 even tho these are 120V circuits and in some areas (depending on local codes and what code cycle you are on) you will need a 2P AFCI breaker (only one manufacturer that I know of makes 2P AFCI breakers.)

·
Cruising into the sunset
612 Posts
k_buz, I agree with you on #1 & #2 but not #3. Why install a 2 pole breaker when all the devices are single pole? I would install a 15A single pole breaker for the lights and a 20A single pole breaker for the receptacles.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
210.4 (b)

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Bascially its any room not a kitchen or bathroom. I'll get the exact code in a second.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
210.12 (A)

All 120V, single phase, 15 and 20 AMP branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, rec rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed AFCI, combinations type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Take note that the word outlet, doesn't mean receptacle. It could be a lighting outlet as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts