DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best one out there for iPhone/iPad? I know the iPad uses more power to charge...

Looking at this one, but I know there are others to choose from. Just trying to find the best one.

Leviton T5632-W 15-Amp USB Charger/Tamper Resistant Duplex Receptacle, White

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
5 volts is 5 volts. I'm certain the current requirement is easily met with a USB receptacle.
I hate tamper proof BTW.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What's the best one out there for iPhone/iPad? I know the iPad uses more power to charge...

Looking at this one, but I know there are others to choose from. Just trying to find the best one.

Leviton T5632-W 15-Amp USB Charger/Tamper Resistant Duplex Receptacle, White
My supply house says that the Hubbells are better than Leviton. A sales rep from Hubbell came in and gave them some sort of demonstration that proved that their's was better. I was not there that day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Current spec for latest greatest USB is 2.1A current capacity. Proprietary cables/chargers can deliver more for faster charging. I doubt the spec will ever go up much over 2A, simply due to current load on the wire. So, with 2 or 3 amp capacity per receptical you should be good for a long while. If you want moor ooohhhmmmfff then add couple USB ports at each station, this way you can charge multiple devices at once. Also, if device ever needs more juice than USB spec allows, chances are the manufacturer will make Y cables, just as they did some years ago for external CD Rom drives.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unfortunately, the USB power specs are complicated. It also depends on whether the receptacle honors the latest power delivery specs/modes. Battery charging mode with "traditional" USB cables is max 3A @ 5V. With the type-c connectors, there are modes all the way up to 5A @ 20V (for a total of 100W power draw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

1 - 7 of 7 Posts