DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both taps are connected to the washing machine. I was going to turn off the water to fix the washing machine, but found out that the hot water tap (on the left of picture) cannot be turned off. I tried to screw it, but it's so hard to do.

Much appreciated if anyone could help.

See attachments.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
its due to water hardening

Hi, this is a common problem with tap being not operated frequently; as heated water causes cabonate and sulphate to be deposited. Its the time to change its valve or you can apply little hammer and try to rotate it

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I agree---That is a threaded pipe---replace the valve---use a 1/4 turn ball valve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response, but it's so hard to rotate it.. just need to keep trying I guess

Hi, this is a common problem with tap being not operated frequently; as heated water causes cabonate and sulphate to be deposited. Its the time to change its valve or you can apply little hammer and try to rotate it

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Have the main water supply shut off and relieve the pressure on the line by opening up a faucet before working on this!!!

Going to need two wrenchs, one to hold the pipe and one to turn the valve.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Turn off the water at the main. Remove the supplies to the washer. Cut the escutchen with your trusty dremmel tool. Put a pipe wrench on the nipple, remove the valve and throw it as far as you can into the landfill. Install new ball valves, and new braided washing machine supplies. I have never seen those clear supply hoses, nor would I ever use them.

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Those lines are way under sized and are sure to fail at some point.
Go back and add your location to your profile.
This may not be the US I've never seen a washer hooked up that way before.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
There is no try Grasshopper, there is only do.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
This member is from 'Down Under' (Australia) which will explain the unusual plumping lines---

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Is that kind of hose used in Australia a lot? I'm surprised you aren't "Down Under" the water, most of the time.

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
Looks like grey PB... I hear some people still use it

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
I actually found a pebble under the valve stem, for our cold water tap, for our wash machine. Looks like the OP is going to have to shut water off, then remove the valve stems and see what is going on. Best case scenario, need to change them out. Worst case scenario, you get to tell the significant other, that you are going to be busy, so you are unable to go do something with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, do you mean one to hold behind the red rubber ring (the pipe) and one to hold the part in front of the red rubber ring (the valve)?

Have the main water supply shut off and relieve the pressure on the line by opening up a faucet before working on this!!!

Going to need two wrenchs, one to hold the pipe and one to turn the valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts