DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Michign and in the summer I can not keep the upstairs cool. What should I do? Will an attic fan help or maybe a portable a/c ?

·
Plumbing & HVAC Expert
4 Posts
Have you tried closing your A/C vents in your basement/first floor? That might help to concentrate more cool air to your top floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did that last year and my a/c froze up and the a/c guy said not to do that anymore. any other recommendations?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Really need to first insulate the upstairs the best you can. If already finished, there are solutions like cutting sections of the drywall out, blowing in insulation and then putting the pieces of gypsum back up and then tape & mud, so it never appeared you did anything. Also, sealing leaky windows, doors, closing storms during heating & cooling also helps, along with keeping drapes closed. Ceiling fans in the bedrooms also help.

Post your temp from the closes vent from the air handler, then from the farthest. If icing, could be as simple as cleaning the crap out of the outside unit and the indoor coils, before looking at freon levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts