DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been searching online for a solution to this issue for a while, but i haven't found anything super solid. I have a small two story home, about 1700 square feet. The main floor consists of the garage, which is not heated, and the kitchen / family room with a half bath. All three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and the laundry room are on the 2nd floor. Here's the rub: the furnace is upstairs too, and... The thermostat is downstairs. When the furnace lights up, it gets so hot upstairs. I mean, SO. HOT. I have it set at 66 so we don't get cooked up there, meanwhile it's freezing downstairs. We are so tired of it. The vents upstairs just pour out heat, it's almost nauseating, and the vents downstairs I can barely feel the warmth coming through.

It's not just a few degrees different. We had it set at 68, and we were dying upstairs. I looked at my babies camera monitor, and it was 90 in her room. Obviously that's not safe for a infant. The solution I found is to turn the temp down, obviously, but then we never want to be downstairs, and my dogs sleep down there so we can't have it be that cold. I've tried closing some vents upstairs, but the pressure blowback caused my furnace to have issues. I just don't know of any solutions other than completely redesigning the entire hvac system, which we definitely cannot afford right now. Anyway, if anyone has a similar experience and found out something helpful, I would appreciate some insight.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
We can’t tell why the forced air distribution to the two floors is not better balanced. The problem could range from an improper design to a blockage in the ductwork to downstairs. With more information we can provide more feedback.

Since I can’t help with the balancing problem at this point, I’ll mention a workaround. You could relocate the thermostat to upstairs and install supplemental heating on the main floor that is controlled by its own thermostat.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts