DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gauge of wire would be required at my main electric panel for me to have at least 100 amps or a bit more service?

Also another question, If a property has 200 amp 3 phase 4 wire service coming in from the street, what would actually be the max amount of amps for that service I would have available.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Only place that I could see having three phase, would be commercial or a large apartment building. Are you sure that you have 3 phase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only place that I could see having three phase, would be commercial or a large apartment building. Are you sure that you have 3 phase?

The property I own is Mixed Use. Large home and a 1400 Sq. Foot Space formally used for many years as a full operation retail bakery. Althought the local Utility Supplier states the service coming in from the street is 200 amps. 120/208 3phase 4 wire. I am sure that the residential panel is only single phase. My problem is that I have a 70 amp. main breaker for the entire 4 bedroom home with electric clothes dryer as many as 4 window unit air conditioner running at any one time, and of course everything else with a typical home.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
That is an excellent addition to the thread. At least we understand your service better. Is there more than one meter - the house and bakery have their own meter?

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
Are you tripping breakers or having other problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you tripping breakers or having other problems?

I have never tripped the 70 amp main breaker as of yet. Occassionally a signal braaker if that area is overloading such as using a 12 vacume when window units are running etc..

But I am currently out of breaker in the panel and I need to move a couple standard 20 amp lines from one of the commercial panel located next to this panel and also I want to have 2 seperate deicated 20 amp line/outlets installed in 2 seperate rooms for use of air conditioners and other asst. items as needed. I feel I will be pushing the limit for sure and would need to upgrade at least to 100 amps. I know for a fact that the meter and the wire comming into the current panel are rated for no less than 100 amps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts