DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

2,561 Posts
As long as you run the correct gauge wire, you can upgrade the breaker.

Also, make sure that the breaker is the correct one for your panel. There should be a sticker on your panel that lists the type of breakers you can use. Or just copy the brand of breakers in use currently in your breaker.

Fourteen-Gauge is good for 15 amp, Twelve-gauge wire is good for 20 amps, 10-gauge wire is good for 30 amps, 8-gauge is good for 40 amps, and 6-gauge is good for 55 amps.

If you are out of slots in your panel, consider putting in a sub-panel to free up some spaces. You can move some of the breakers from the main panel to the sub-panel. Or the sub-panel can allow you to run new circuits.

If you need to add additional circuits, check to see if you can use tandem breakers in your panel. (2 breakers in one slot)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.