DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

For an investment property we are renovating for rental, I am looking for budget conscious options to refresh / update / modernize this ~1985 era metal / wrought iron interior railing that extends from the ground level entry foyer up 7 stairs to the main level of a raised bungalow. It is obviously a custom fabricated railing and replacing it would likely require the same. Also, the section that runs down the stairs fastens to the top of the stringer rather than traditional balusters fastened to the stair treads themselves.

The top of this railing is a plasticized material that looks like it can be removed with some force, exposing a heavy gauge steel top rail maybe an inch or so wide and about 3/16" thick. I think the best solution would be to remove that plasticized covering, paint the entire railing flat black and then add a new top covering.. I am thinking wood, and then painting that with cloud white that matches our trim, or it could be oak and then stained.

Any thoughts / suggestions on this, and then my next task will be to find a general contractor or railing company that will take this job on, as this for me is likely not a DIY job, unless there is an option that I am not considering.:smile:

Thanks!

Attachments

·
In a little over my head
1,081 Posts
Budget conscious, right? For a rental. My first thoughts.

Cut the curly cue part out with an angle grinder. It is what looks dated
If possible, straighten out the kink at the top step. Make a straight line to the landing railing.
Replace the plastic railing with a nice oak hand rail. Screw it on from the bottom.
Build a small wood box around the top and bottom newel.
Paint the iron black.
All DIYable.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Replace the plastic railing with a nice oak hand rail. Screw it on from the bottom.
I like that idea.

I was going to say replace the whole thing with oak. I did that once. But its a lot of work if you do it yourself, and not budget friendly if you hire it out.

I don't think I would cut out the curly things though. Just a new coat of paint (maybe gloss black ???) and the handrail.

·
Hammered Thumb
2,971 Posts
Looks like a raised ranch. A rental the railings will take a beating from moving furniture in and out. Depends on the level of rent expected. Leave existing and painting it is easiest and probably sturdiest. If changing it a half-wall with handrail is easiest to fix. All new wood rails/balusters would be premium, and may match what you are doing with all the removed baseboard and flooring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts