DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 piece tub/surround that is in good shape but I would like to update the look. I know you can’t install traditional tiles over the surround but is there any kind of tile/fake tile that can be installed? Are there other options for updating the look vs tear out and replace?

If we are looking at a remove and replace option, how much might we expect to pay someone to do it? We are on a slab of that matters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ju att the basic one piece shower/bath unit. I like the idea of tile or something a bit nicer looking but not sure its possible without ripping it out first.

·
retired framer
42,881 Posts
Do you ave a company near by that does printed vinyl wraps on cars?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
You'll need to be more specific about how you want to change it. Do you want some splash of color or a different color for the whole thing? More storage? New fixtures?

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Just throwing a couple thoughts your way. I’m sure that’s the original unit from when the house was built. Those things (especially the 1-piece) are solid and extremely well made. You won’t find anything today that is built that way.
You can use one of the tile/bath painting kits, Rustoleum makes one, to refinish the tub and surround, but you have to be a pretty good painter and results and longevity can be so-so.

Bath refinishing companies make overlays that will fit over what you have now and will look great, BUT, the cost is very high. It will be in the thousands of dollars.

To me, it looks pretty good and I would lean towards keeping it for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts