DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
sweaty
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house, built in 1976, has an American Standard Vent Away toilet. I was trying to attach the flapper actuator chain to the flush lever. About a half inch of the end of the lever broke off. It's thin plastic. Here is a diagram of the parts:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/americanstandard/2003v.pdf

I'd rather not buy entire new part assemblies for this. Just a fill valve cost $200.00. Can I wrap wire around the remaining flush lever or attach it to the actuator chain somehow?

I need to keep the original toilet. It's brown, which matches the bidet, tub, and towel hangers.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
take a safty pin open it up hold it with a needlenose plyers and heat the sharp end over the stove flame or lighter.heat it up and stick it thru the end of the remaining handle bar...let it cool and close it then hookthe flapper chain to it....paper clip will do it also or just drill a small hole and slip half a paper clip into it....and hook the end for the chain.

·
sweaty
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed it. I drilled a hole through the remaining lever, linked a couple safety pins to it, used copper wire to fasten the pins to the chain. Just slightly better than duct tape and chewing gum. Should keep the wife off my back, at least for a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts