DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repurposing a room, and I want to add an outlet on a wall that has none. There's a "box" structure, floor to ceiling, about 8" deep and 21" wide, covering the electrical service box. So, the good news is I have very good access from the back (16" x 80" door), and looking right at the wiring including one wire specifically to accept this outlet. The bad news, this is a finished wall and unsure how to mount a box. No stud here, the drywall is applied to a 1"x8 board, so I bored a test hole with a Forstner bit and came up with 1-5/16 wall thickness. I have a nice metal box in my hand with attached flange on one side, but designed to 5/8" mounting depth.

So, what to use? I've seen at the stores a plastic box with a side flange that adjusts in/out for depth by a screw, planning to look at that but suspect at 1-5/16, I'll be out-of-adjustment-range. Also seen "old work boxes" that you insert for the finished side and then to "ears" pop out, basically grabbing the wall in a "pinch" but not actually screwed to the wall :)sad:). Alternatively, I visualize attaching a strip of wood (say, 3/4" x 1-1/2") to the side of a box with screws, then screwing that to the backside of the 1"x8" wood. Goofy? Should i be shopping for a box specifically made to mounting depths other that common drywall thicknesses?

By the way, rather close is the door jamb, about 11/16" thick, so if there's a box with an attachment flange of (1-5/16 + 11/16 = 2") from the box's face that's viable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the next closest outlet?
What is on the level above or below this room?

Extend from that existing outlet/box ...
Thanks for responding!

The next closest outlet is pretty far away, but I don't need to involve another outlet -- there's a 12/2 wire right there, waiting for me.

My problem is how to physically attach the box to the wall when there's no stud.

Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

·
Electrician
384 Posts
I would use one of these. You have wood behind the drywall so you can put screws right into the wall to hold it in.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would use one of these. You have wood behind the drywall so you can put screws right into the wall to hold it in.
:thumbsup: I'll go look for those unless I hear a better idea. I may have to reverse the sliding tabs to get the right depth, that's OK. Plus, some short mounting screws.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
Thanks for responding!

The next closest outlet is pretty far away, but I don't need to involve another outlet -- there's a 12/2 wire right there, waiting for me.

My problem is how to physically attach the box to the wall when there's no stud.

Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

Box mounting is one problem but that cable just waiting for you might be a problem as well. What does it feed? Some circuits, like bathrooms and kitchens, cannot be shared with other rooms. Is it unswitched power or is it a switch leg? You will also need enough slack to be able to bring it into the new box then continue on. Unless it was fed very, very, loosely, I doubt there will be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - but not to worry. A neighbor who is a retired electrician put the cable there, replacing an old, unused circuit. After it leaves the vicinity of where I am working, it goes through the floor to a corner of the basement where the boiler resides -- and ends. I'll put a box down there to utilize an overhead "shop light". So, not much on this particular circuit. And he left plenty of slack. :smile:

Box mounting is one problem but that cable just waiting for you might be a problem as well. What does it feed? Some circuits, like bathrooms and kitchens, cannot be shared with other rooms. Is it unswitched power or is it a switch leg? You will also need enough slack to be able to bring it into the new box then continue on. Unless it was fed very, very, loosely, I doubt there will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts