DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short.. i purchased my home that had some foundation issues. A wall had to be braced/anchored which included part of my finished area in the basement.

So, the drywall had to be cut in order for these to braces to go in. It left two 11 '' wide & approx 2' tall holes in my drywall. I've attache pictures

Here's the problem: The braces are not flush against the foundation wall. They stick out approx 1-2''. As you can see in the photos, the braces do not protrude past the drywall that is there.. but a simple cut out patch will not work as the braces aren't flush to the foundation wall.

I've looked at the mesh tape you can buy. However, i'm worried about this method as it would take an insane amount of compound to make it look natural.

We also considered buying the patch pieces of drywall and digging out the back of the drywall enough to allow for the braces to fit. However, this would be tedious and you risk digging too far and damaging the surface of the drywall.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Will 1/4" drywall work? May have to furr the wall out with some 1x and re drywall. As bad as I hate it you may be able to glue 1/4" on top of existing to cover the whole wall. Will test your mud skills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will 1/4" drywall work? May have to furr the wall out with some 1x and re drywall. As bad as I hate it you may be able to glue 1/4" on top of existing to cover the whole wall. Will test your mud skills.
I'm new at this. My father-in-law knows a little.

I didn't know they made 1/4" drywall. That might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Oh my! What a perfect location for a large painting or mirror. Haha.

Worst case, you could do a small bump out for the entire area or two small "columns" in front of those spots. Would be easier than doing the whole wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts