DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am new to this forum, but I really enjoy doing most of the work around the house myself. I am currently starting a project to reside my ranch house along with replacing windows and doors.

I tore the siding off the front of the attached garage today. It had LP panel type siding on it. The garage face has a gable end above it. That portion of the wall sticks out a half inch more than the rest of the wall. Now I am planning to run LP lap siding up the wall to the gable portion. I then want to have a horizontal trim piece before I side the rest with LP shingle siding. This half inch step is making me scratch my head. Should I add sheathing (which btw, the house has mostly fiberboard sheathing) to the bottom portion to make it even or can a person reframe the gable part? Is it possible for me to run siding up by leaving the step? I also will have this issue with two other sides of the house. A solution would be great :)

·
retired framer
49,106 Posts
Normally you would cut a notch int a back bottom of the horizontal trim to protect the top of the lower siding and then a flashing above that.
1626935920392.png

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!! I can definitely see how that will work great. Will I need to notch out the trim though? The lap siding is 5/16", while the step is 1/2".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts