DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uneven cement flooring, need to put something "soft" on top for mother in law..?

I'll try to explain this again, since my last post got wiped out because I forgot to log in...

our in-laws live in our basement. We have a full suite there. The kitchen in their area is the "center" of the foundation and, for some reason, it shifted and because it's on slab, it's created some waves in the concrete. no MAJOR drops, but some waves that make it impossible to put flat flooring down on top of it.

They have peel-and-stick tile on it now, and it's incredibly obvious where the sections are because the concrete is poking up through those areas. I know I'm not doing the best job explaning this, and I'll take some pictures tomorrow which might make it a bit clearer as well.

The kitchen is maybe 200sqft? I'm horrible at measurements, but it's far from huge. It extends out into a small maybe 2 feet walkway to the living room. The flooring that touches these areas is a laminate, and it sits above the slab.

Our goal is to find a way to level the floor (suggestions?? :)) first.

Then, figure out what to put on top to soften it as much as possible.

Unfortunately carpet in the kitchen went the way of the 70's, or else we'd do that :)

What would be good that would be soft for a nice old lady's feet, but easy to lay?

Cost and ease are obvious an issue here. We'll probably have to do it on our own. My father in law has experience, somewhat extensive, with renovation projects but seeing as he's in his 70's and that I'm limited in my abilities due to previous injuries, I'd like some advice from people that do it all the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Leveling cement does an excellent job, and can be a thin as is needed to level things up. But you must build a dam around the floor and seal all cracks and crevices, or the compound will leak out. It is literally like water once mixed, and generally self leveling, but hardens quickly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
call in someone who specializes in conc grinding then install any soft floor you wish such as cork,,, we'd do a moisture ck 1st prior to installing anything

·
Registered
648 Posts
i suspect expansive soils but the 'wave' is interesting as hi flexural strength isn't usually a characteristic of residential conc in my experience, mouse

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the Mannington is what my brother in law used.

I would think Cork would be softer though, wouldn't it? Cost is obviously of importance, but if the cork flooring is significantly cheaper, I think that would be a better angle...

IS it softer? There's not a lot of places to find this stuff in western Canada, it seems.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
i'd think cork would be softer AND warmer. seems to me, living where you do, it'd be quite popular!

DM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and click-lock is right up my alley ;)

Although the plain tiles might be easier with the possible slight slope left after it's leveled?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts