DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some help on if this is possible as a DIY or not. Moved to Miami a few years ago and I'm having no end of problems getting a contractor around to show up or even provide quotes. It's really a strange thing the contractors here - I mean I've had people here take measurements but then they go silent.

I've done landscaping / construction in the past but never anything under water so I'm considering doing this myself as a DIY project now. The permit that is on file for the house allows me to build a rebuild my dock (attached). What was there before has fallen down, but I'm not even sure if that was permitted. I have no concern with the framing, what I don't follow is the piling and how to pour concrete under water.

What was there before was cinder blocks filled with concrete. The plan seems to suggest that I need a 24x24x10 concrete footing where I would put cinderblocks on top, re-bar inside, and then filling with concrete. What I'd like to have help with is:

1) Are these assumptions correct?
2) What kind of concrete can you pour into a lake and have set?
3) For the footing, do I dig down with a shovel and then place it there?
4) I'm concerned about sagging over time, but I suppose that's what the footings are for?
5) Is this a DIY or should I just keep calling people? Or do you know someone who can do the pilings for me?

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that the dock is on a small lake, not the ocean, so the regular people who do piling and docks don't want to do it as they have their boats on the ocean and can't get them here. It's also at an awkward angle so getting a pile driver there is hard to do.

·
Retired Handyman/Painter
736 Posts
there is concrete that cures under water. but I don't know how
you would get it into the forms if you can not get a large boat to it.
this may be way beyond the normal DIY project the way you want
to have it done.
call your local concrete company about the underwater cement
and how much a pumper truck would cost.
option "B" would be to use telephone poles embedded in the dirt
for your pilings vs concrete. and there is a way to do that but still
requires specialized equipment and knowledge.

you CAN set your own wood pilings with a water jet and a few people
to help get the posts vertical. requires a boat and water pump.
3/4 or 1" PVC pipe tied to the post and a water pump to remove
the sand and the post will sink right into the ground.
no pounding or pile drivers required. of course, this only works
in sandy soil that does not contain rocks or other debris in the lake bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
No special concrete is needed to pour under water, but placement is a bit out of the DIY
realm,keep calling contractors and be sure they have done this type of placement before, as there are special tools needed for the job, and not all contractors have them.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,776 Posts
Ayuh,...... I've never, Ever seen dock pylons built outa blocks,.....

Steel pipe, 'n a BIG compressor is a good way to go in clay or hardpan,....

If ya use steel pipe, ya just pour dry concrete mix down the pipe, til full,.....
It'll cure, No problem,.....

Bolted wood cribs, fill with rocks is pretty common 'round here for bedrock pylons,....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Take a look at the use of Helical Screw Pilings.
You can get the Drive Head with many speeds & torque.
They can be operated with a portable Hyd. power pack or attached to the Bob Cat equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts