DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a room in my garage. The cement is cracked towards the back corner; about 15 sq ft. This section of the floor is about 1/8" lower than the rest . I'm wanting to patch it and hopefully level it out, but I'm afraid there may still be some issues when I lay down the laminate. Is it safe to go with a laminate that has underlayment attached, or should I spend a little more and get a thicker separate underlayment?

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
I'm not a fan of laminate directly onto concrete, particularly if moisture may be an issue, either from the soil or the garage.. Perhaps consider a Dricore subfloor or something similar.

·
11,730 Posts
-----------------------------Welcome to the forums!----------------

Garage conversion to living space almost always require a vapor barrier on the slab surface to stop moisture from the earth below, also capillary wicking from the concrete foundation wall- if any- usually some as siding requires 6" above grade.
Code minimum allows no vapor barrier placement at build in a garage when unconditioned. Tar or an epoxy paint-on finish both work, as do foam board or Dricore (as said) and plywood will cover any slight future movement; https://buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-003-concrete-floor-problems

https://buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi082-walking-the-plank?searchterm=slab%2520vapor%2520barrier

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-----------------------------Welcome to the forums!----------------

Garage conversion to living space almost always require a vapor barrier on the slab surface to stop moisture from the earth below, also capillary wicking from the concrete foundation wall- if any- usually some as siding requires 6" above grade.

Gary
Wonderful explanation. Thank you for your insight. My plan was to paint on a water-seal, but my question was really whether or not that little dip in the foundation will be noticeable when I lay down my flooring. Would a thicker underlayment absorb the 1/8" difference?

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Or Agree just level up the cracked area. Areas of the country differ.....but where I am a slab on grade concrete floor that is going to have any type of laminate on it gets first a six mil plastic vapor barrier covering complete wall to wall with joints taped. Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts