DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
we have a 4-plex in San Diego that we bought several months ago that was built in 1950. According to inspector's report, we needed electrical upgrades. One of the electricians told us city is under a project to underground all the electrical lines, and if we do not do upgrades the way city EXPECTS us, once our neighborhood is due for undergounding, we will have to REDO the whole thing again (like changing the location of the MAIN electrical panel from where it is now).
Can they FORCE these upgrades to the owners? I am talking about a 15000-20000$ that will be required... It is not cheap...

What we wanted to do is the very minimum, but to make sure our tenants are safe: just replace fuses in each unit with BREAKERS and leave it in the closets as we "grandfathered" them in and replace the main panel fuse with a breaker.
But according to the advise of an electrician based on the city undergrounding requirements, we will have to RELOCATE the fuses from closets to the OUTSIDE of the building AND RELOCATE the main panel from where it is now to an opposite direction (closer to the main street).
Can the city ENFORCE us to do this?

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
i can't see it happening, i think you have an electrician that's trying to make some extra cash. Call the city and ask. For that matter the inspector may well know as well.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts