DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling a 1985 bathroom. The old vanity had a hollow base which had a tie kick plate on the front routed back to the in floor ductwork.
Our intention is to put in a new vanity without a closed in base. Therefore the duct becomes visible. There is a 90deg duct, but the lower edge of this is currently going to be slightly below the new tile surface of the new floor? Is that acceptable in a bathroom? and is there a way to cover this duct piece so it is not so visible (can been seen for folks using the bathtub)? Is there a finished cover that would work for this? I have attached a picture of the duct prior to the new floor tile (this area was not previously tiled under the old vanity). Feeling very frustrated as I think this is going to look very ugly. Thanks.
EF09F6D5-4941-4E72-AF30-D3B32C3DCA14.jpeg

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,772 Posts
Remove the hood and use a standard floor register.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Hammered Thumb
3,555 Posts
When choosing furniture-style vanities, a proper job would be relocating the register location to an area of floor or into a wall not utilized. And also continuing the baseboard behind the vanity.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,555 Posts
A floor register would just blow up to the underside of the vanity (like many toekicks being ductless are done anyway). Yes, it would still perform, but the choice is "oops, overlooked something but oh well just make it work" and there is design competence regardless of the difficulty to get there. DIYers always have to choose (if they even know there is a choice) and usually they choose the former and it shows. Common problem converting old vanities to match the beautiful display they saw at Lowes.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Sounds to me like the OP is basically building a floating vanity. Aside from the duct warming up the bottom of the vanity, I don't see a problem as the air will be blown out the sides of the gap between the bottom of the vanity and the floor. Maybe OP will come back and actually show us the vanity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts