DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas for under the cabinet lights- the electrician ran power to all the undersides of the cabinets so I can hardwire them. Looks to be severall types out there- Flourescent, LED etc---- Anyone have any personal preferences?

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
I'm looking for ideas for under the cabinet lights- the electrician ran power to all the undersides of the cabinets so I can hardwire them. Looks to be severall types out there- Flourescent, LED etc---- Anyone have any personal preferences?
I truly love these, installation is great, and so is the light output, they have a built in high/low switch as well.
http://www.nslusa.com/xenontask.html

·
Registered
373 Posts
My preference is fluorescent. With the proper diffuser it's a nice soft light, and it's a continuous "bar" of light rather than a row of light and dark areas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Avoid halogen. I had a party shortly after completing the kitchen and a friend put her purse on some boxes and shoved them under the cabinet. Ended up melting her purse. They run way too hot.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Avoid halogen. I had a party shortly after completing the kitchen and a friend put her purse on some boxes and shoved them under the cabinet. Ended up melting her purse. They run way too hot.
So because your friend made a mistake you blame the fixture? Lol.. Hey coffee is hot also, guess that's why it's labeled on the side of the cup. ;)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have a similar wiring setup and use the ultra low profile flourescents. Nice diffuse light, very low power usage/no heat, and the modern ones with electronic ballasts don't hum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So because your friend made a mistake you blame the fixture? Lol.. Hey coffee is hot also, guess that's why it's labeled on the side of the cup. ;)
I don't consider it a mistake - I consider it bad design (on my part). Counters are for stacking things, potentially to the height of the bottom of the cabinet. Hidden heat sources that can melt plastic or burn skin in such a working area are not a good idea IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts