DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

There is some framing and plywood located in my cold room under the front porch. Can I remove the framing I'm assuming was used to form the concrete?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then why the hell wasn't it removed? Was everyone waiting for the magic fairies riding unicorns jumping over rainbows, with Pots of Gold at the end of them.
lol.......That must have been some rainbow .....they also forgot to place a vent cap on the hole they cut in the roof for my bathroom fan. :furious:

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
How many others in this development if the home is in a suburb, did this contractor and their sub's just go "Oops", and figured that no one will notice. That is why I like my older home. It was done with craftsmanship, and will be around for probably another hundred years, unlike the stuff they build today.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
If I'm seeing this correctly--NO--that wood gunned to the concrete looks like a ledger of some kind to hold up the 2x4 joists---

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Above the 2x4's and plywood is the concrete slab for the front porch. I've left a message with the builder and witing for them to get back.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Well----best info will come from the one that designed and built it---

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Above the 2x4's and plywood is the concrete slab for the front porch. I've left a message with the builder and witing for them to get back.
Unless he poured in a fabric of rebar and wire mesh along with a slab thick enough to make that span, that wood is acting as a supporting deck. It is funtioning the same as, and probably should have been, a fluted metal deck, but I'm assuming alot of that wood was left overs already on site.

Here's a visual example of a typical concrete deck system. I'm assuming the wood structure you have is acting in place of the fluted metal decking: http://swirnowstructures.com/images/md2000beams.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your help.......Build informed that I can remove them, they were used as a form and usually come out once the concrete has cured.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
we'd love to see your construction of the cold room. keep the pics coming and good luck with your project!

Knucklez

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tornado country Heh ?

I've dodged 3 in the last 4 years here ..closest was a mile and the others were within 5 miles.

I say leave it in place for exta support.

I saw on TV last spring I believe where a EF5 had lifted the slab and it slid into the "cold room".

The downside of leaving it in is a potential food source for mold.

If your porch is covered and on the lee side of most prevaling weather

theres much less chance of water getting though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts